Thursday, August 20, 2026

Enugu govt. postpones reopening of collapsed bridge

“This, however, is no longer feasible because of expert and technical advice.”

• December 25, 2023
Peter Mbah
Peter Mbah

The Enugu State government says it has to postpone the reopening of one lane of the collapsed Enugu- Port Harcourt Expressway Bridge, following expert’s advice.

The government stated that it received advice from the project manager, Mohammed Fadi, not to reopen the bridge “for safety purposes”, until it had been fully completed.

The commissioner for information and communication, Aka-Eze Aka, disclosed this in a statement issued in Enugu and made available to journalists on Monday.

The commissioner for works, Gerald Otiji, had said at a post-state executive council meeting news briefing on December 25 that one lane of the bridge would be reopened to motorists to ease traffic during the Yuletide celebrations.

But Mr Aka stated that the bridge would no longer be reopened as announced, saying that based on the expert advice, it should, on completion, be subjected to a series of integrity tests to certify it fit for public use.

“Due to the traffic congestion being experienced in the area, which is a major link road, the State Government had asked that one lane of the bridge that was standing be opened to ease traffic and relieve motorists of stress, especially this festive season.

“This, however, is no longer feasible because of expert and technical advice.

“As a matter of emphasis, the government is not unaware of the difficulties created by the collapsed bridge but appeals for understanding and patience from road users as works on the bridge will soon be completed,” Mr Aka stated.


(NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Uncategorized

Why Nigeria is becoming an interesting market for international online casinos

Nigeria has an established betting culture, giving gaming businesses a starting point as they assess how consumers discover, compare and use platforms.

UNICEF

Port Harcourt

UNICEF seeks ethical reporting of children

The speakers stressed that the media could either compound children’s burdens or help protect them. 

Ebonyi State CP Urunwa Okafor

States

Ebonyi LG Poll: Police announce movement restriction

Ms Okafor warned that anyone found engaging in acts capable of causing a breakdown of law and order would face the full weight of the law.

Scene at the Ataoja's palace.

Heading 1

Suspected cultists denied access to Davido at Ataoja’s palace shot 60-year-old man dead: Police 

Police said the incident occurred around Ita-Olokan area of Osogbo at about 4 p.m., shortly after the governor visited the monarch alongside Davido. 

Peter Mbah

Heading 2

Gov. Mbah appoints 23 new SAs, SSAs

Mr Onyia said the appointments take immediate effect.

Music console

Hot news Home top

Nigeria, Kenya lose $286 million music revenue annually to copyright gaps: U.S.

She urged policymakers to ratify and fully implement the WIPO Copyright Treaty.