Monday, August 17, 2026

Ex-Chelsea star Gonzalo Higuaín to retire at end of MLS season

Gonzalo Higuaín currently plays for club Inter Miami, owned by former Manchester United legend David Beckham.

• October 3, 2022
Gonzalo Higuain
Gonzalo Higuain

Former Real Madrid forward Gonzalo Higuaín has confirmed he will retire from football once the 2022 MLS season is over, after almost 18 years of professional football.

Higuaín, who currently plays for club Inter Miami, owned by former Manchester United legend David Beckham, made the announcement during a press conference on Monday.

“Three or four months ago I told the club, it wasn’t from one day to the next. I had been working on it for years. When I came here, I came for the pleasure of enjoying football, of my life, of having Fede close, my brother. 

“It was another stage in my career, but I can tell you that it was one of the best moments of my career, and this club, my teammates and the coaching staff gave it to me, who gave me back the desire to play football,” Higuain said.

The 34-year-old attacker continued: “I can now retire as I always dreamed, scoring goals and having fun playing the game.”

With just two games left before the end of the regular MLS season, the Argentine has scored 12 goals in his last 14 appearances to push Inter Miami to 7th on the league table and final Eastern Conference playoff spot.

The former Chelsea man has scored more than 300 goals and more than 100 assists in 700 plus appearances in his blistering career that cut Argentina, Italy, Spain, England and United States.

He also added multiple honours to his name along the line, including the several La Liga and Serie A titles, the UEFA Europa League title and many more.

Higuaín, who also featured for Juventus, scored 31 goals in 75 appearances for the Argentina national team and was a vital member of the squad that reached the final of the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil but lost 1-0 to Germany in extra time.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Showbiz

Kamsy emerges third housemate evicted from BBNaija Season 11

Her departure came as a fresh reminder that popularity inside the house does not necessarily translate into enough public votes.

Sport

Cameroon beat Malawi 3-0 to win first WAFCON title

Cameroon thus became the fourth nation to win the WAFCON, joining record champions Nigeria, Equatorial Guinea and South Africa.

Alake at Nigeria Gold Day Celebration event

NationWide

Alake warns illegal operators against mining abandoned pits

The minister said the tragedy could have been averted if the illegal miners formed a cooperative and applied for the necessary permit.

States

Police arrest Kogi man for setting wife on fire

The state Commissioner of Police, Naziru Kankarofi, condemned the attack, describing it as “barbaric and unacceptable.”

Showbiz

Spider-Man: Brand New Day’ rakes $2 billion at global box office

Marvel and Sony’s “Spider-Man: Brand New Day” has grossed $2 billion at the global box office after only three weeks in theatres