Monday, August 17, 2026

Excessive speeding, misapplication of braking system caused Abuja–Kaduna train derailment: NRC

Mr Opeifa confirmed that the main line had been repaired to a safe level for operations, though work continues on the secondary track.

• September 22, 2025
A derailed NRC train
A derailed NRC train [Credit: Channels Television]

The Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) says its internal investigation into the Abuja–Kaduna train derailment on August 26 at Asham has been concluded.

NRC’s managing director, Kayode Opeifa, in a statement on Monday, noted the investigation pointed to human error, including excessive speeding and misapplication of the emergency braking system.

He said the management has accepted the recommendations and awaits reports from the Ministerial Committee and the Nigerian Safety Investigation Bureau before final decisions.

Mr Opeifa noted substantial progress in recovery, repair, and safety works following the train derailment.

In a statement on Monday, Mr Opeifa said engineers had successfully re-railed and recovered all coaches and locomotives involved in the derailment.

According to him, the recovered assets were transferred to designated workshops for comprehensive assessment and technical repair.

Mr Opeifa confirmed that the main line had been repaired to a safe level for operations, though work continues on the secondary track.

He added that the second line would remain closed until all necessary repairs were completed.

The managing director explained that engineers had commenced a full safety and infrastructure assessment of the corridor to guarantee durability, reliability, and safety.

Mr Opeifa said that this stage included a thorough evaluation of the repaired section and other critical infrastructure along the route.

He stressed that operations would only resume after inspections, technical tests, and certifications had been successfully concluded.

“Safety remains our top priority. The corporation reaffirms its determination to restore public confidence in rail services,” Mr Opeifa said.

On passenger welfare, Mr Opeifa confirmed that of the 618 passengers on board, 22 sustained injuries and are at various stages of recovery.

He said 512 passengers had been contacted, while 71 remained unreachable due to non-responsiveness, wrong contacts, or unavailability.

Mr Opeifa assured passengers that an official announcement on the resumption of services would be made shortly.

The managing director expressed appreciation to passengers for their patience and understanding throughout the recovery period.

He also thanked the media houses for their timely updates and the security agencies for supporting recovery operations and safeguarding lives and property.

(NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Seplat-NNPC empowers 127 teachers in Imo

Economy

Seplat-NNPC empowers 127 teachers in Imo

The beneficiaries received training through the Seplat Teachers Empowerment Programme, with the first Imo cohort graduating in Owerri.

Adeleke shaking hands with Tinubu

Anti-Corruption

Osun Account Freeze: Gov Adeleke withdraws suit against EFCC after Tinubu’s intervention

“I have instructed my attorney general to drop it (lawsuit against EFCC). Mr President has done well. He called me. What more do I want? He has waded in,” Mr Adeleke said.

Showbiz

Kamsy emerges third housemate evicted from BBNaija Season 11

Her departure came as a fresh reminder that popularity inside the house does not necessarily translate into enough public votes.

Sport

Cameroon beat Malawi 3-0 to win first WAFCON title

Cameroon thus became the fourth nation to win the WAFCON, joining record champions Nigeria, Equatorial Guinea and South Africa.

Alake at Nigeria Gold Day Celebration event

NationWide

Alake warns illegal operators against mining abandoned pits

The minister said the tragedy could have been averted if the illegal miners formed a cooperative and applied for the necessary permit.