EXCLUSIVE: Nigerian Army declares 101 soldiers wanted for running from Boko Haram in Marte, freezes bank accounts
The Nigerian Army has ordered the immediate arrest of officers accused of deserting their posts during the Boko Haram attacks on New Marte and Dikwa towns of Maidiguri.
Military documents obtained by Peoples Gazette carried a list of 101 names, ranks and bank details of errant soldiers.
Theatre Command Headquarters of “Operation Lafiya Dole” in Maiduguri requested that the Army Headquarters freeze the listed accounts and apprehend the alleged deserters if found.
“You are requested to declare the named officers and soldiers deserters WEF 19 Feb 21,” the document said.
A spokesman for the Nigerian Army did not immediately return a request seeking comments about the development.
At least seven Nigerian soldiers were confirmed killed in an ambush by the terrorists last month.
The soldiers of 153 Task Force Battalion were ambushed in Marte Local Government Council, as the troops were overwhelmed and could not match the ammunition carried by the terrorists.
After Marte was captured by Boko Haram, Chief of Army Staff Ibrahim Attahiru gave troops of the ‘Operation Lafiya Dole’ 48 hours to clear insurgents off Marte LGA and surrounding communities under the insurgents control.
The villages under the terrorists control were the Kirenowa, Kirta, Wulgo and Ngala Local Government Area of the state.
The soldiers went through Marte, successfully killing the ISWAP/ Boko Haram Terrorists who captured that area for some days.
Army spokesman Mohammed Yerima confirmed to the Gazette that the troops successfully and safely detonated a series of improvised bombs along the routes leading into the village in collaboration with the Nigerian Air Force.
More from Peoples Gazette
FRSC says a number of vehicles have been destroyed in a tanker explosion at Ogere on the Lagos-Ibadan expressway on Tuesday.
Rotimi Amaechi revealed President Muhammadu Buhari’s die-hard desire to borrowing to finance infrastructure, regardless of harsh criticisms from Nigerians.
Governor Abubakar Sani Bello of Niger says bandits and kidnappers terrorising the country are not true Fulani.
Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo inaugurated the board of the State Security Network and Amotekun corps amid worsening insecurity in the state.
Army says its troops operating along Mokwa-Jebba road intercepted a fleeing bandit in a vehicle travelling from Zuru to Ibadan during a stop-and-search operation.
Fulani leaders have thrown their weight behind the fight against bandits in Kebbi amid the latest mass abduction of schoolchildren.