Experts hail $375 million fine imposed on Meta in child exploitation trial

A U.S. jury in New Mexico has slammed Meta, the parent company of Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp, with a $375 million fine after finding that the platforms are harmful to children, with experts praising the judgment.
The jury on Tuesday stated that tech billionaire Mark Zuckerberg’s Meta prioritised profit over children’s safety as the platform endangers children, exposing them to predators and harmful content.
This verdict followed a suit by New Mexico’s attorney general Raúl Torrez in 2023. The suit wants Meta to be stricter about age verification and to remove bad actors with content not safe for children from the platform.
In an email to Peoples Gazette on Wednesday, University of Sydney experts lauded the court’s verdict as a positive development focused on children’s well-being.
Rob Nicholls, a senior research associate at the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, said, “This landmark verdict, along with many other similar lawsuits against social media companies, signals a shift in how courts view platform design as a set of choices that can carry real legal and social consequences. It opens the door to wider challenges against social media and other technology systems engineered to maximise engagement at the expense of user wellbeing.”
The judgment highlights a simple principle: societies must place limits on children’s access to environments where predatory behaviour is common and safeguards are weak, according to Uri Gal, Business Information Systems, Business School.
He added, “We do not allow minors into comparable physical spaces, and online platforms should be no different. Age-gating is a necessary baseline for digital environments where risks are widespread and difficult to control.”
A group of ordinary American citizens did what U.S. regulators “have so far failed to do”, said Joanne Gray, chair of Discipline (Media and Communications), Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences.
“They looked at the evidence and found that Meta puts profits over user safety. This jury decision sends a clear message to all the Big Tech platforms: they need to do better, especially when it comes to keeping kids safe,” Ms Gray explained.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Faith
Emir of Rano to lead Kano pilgrims for 2027 Hajj: Gov. Yusuf
The CPS said that the emir and the emirate thanked the governor for the singular honour.

Heading 2
Troops kill one suspected kidnapper, arrest two others in Benue
Mr Zubairu noted that the other members of the group fled in disarray.

Heading 4
Public service measured by impact, not years in office, Fagbemi says
Mr Fagbemi commended the management and staff of the NCC.

Heading 5
Kano, FG expanding irrigation infrastructure to boost food security, economic development
Mr Yusuf commended the federal government for its intervention.

Abuja
Completion of abandoned projects hallmark of my three-year tenure: Wike
Mr Wike said his team had remained committed to its mandate despite initial challenges.

NationWide
Stakeholders fault remittance of unclaimed dividends to DMO
The shareholders said unclaimed dividends remained the property of investors.






