Explosion Threat: Avi-Cenna says school reopened, safe for students, parents

Following an explosion threat that led to the shutdown of its facility last week, Avi-Cenna School has announced the resumption of academic and administrative activities on its premises.
After days of uncertainty and dread, Avi-Cenna disclosed on Monday that it was safe and secure to resume activities.
The school was hurriedly shut last week. However, the Lagos police command gave it a clean bill of health on Thursday.
“Yes, they (students and staff) are back to school. It is safe,” an Avi-Cenna official told Peoples Gazette on Monday.
Grange School, another educational facility in Ikeja, Lagos, which was also threatened with an explosion, informed The Gazette on Monday that all activities had returned to normal.
The schools communicated their immediate shutdown of academic activities due to threats of an explosion in separate letters addressed to parents and guardians on Wednesday.
A letter, signed by Paul Olubajo for Avi-Cenna School, addressed to parents and guardians, said, “We wish to inform you that we received a text message about a fire explosion threat.
“The police authorities were immediately informed, and they deployed their special unit with their devices to the school. After a thorough assessment of the entire premises, they confirmed that the premises are safe. However, school will remain closed for today.
“We are sharing this update to keep you informed and will share further updates as they become available. Kindly bear with us as we continue to strive to ensure the safety of our students, staff, and parents.”
Grange School had announced a similar security threat in a letter dated January 21 and signed by its head, Richard McMahon.
“We are writing to inform you that the school will be closed tomorrow as a precautionary measure. Earlier this evening (Wednesday), the school received a security-related concern,” the school stated.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

World
Carney vows retaliation as Trump govt slams fresh 50% tariffs on Canadian goods
Mr Trump set a deadline for negotiations, but negotiators said they had yet to reach an agreement.

States
Terrorists storm Niger mosque during prayers, abduct worshippers
The police said security operatives had been deployed to the area for assessment and rescue operations.

Heading 2
2027: Ex-Zamfara governor Yari named APC campaign DG for Tinubu’s re-election
Muiz Banire will head the Legal Directorate, with Dr Liman Hassan and Babatunde Ogala as deputies.

Hot news Home top
Photo, details of Nwabueze Buchi George, coordinator of fresh fake agency ICPC uncovered in Tinubu’s govt
The Peoples Gazette’s check for Mr Nwabueze’s digital footprint showed he runs social media accounts and a website: Made in Nigeria.

States
Taraba govt unveils action plan to tackle climate change
Mr Kefas urged the federal government, the national council on climate change and other stakeholders to work with the state to implement the policy and action plan.

Africa
Edo Queens ready to contest WAFU B qualifying ticket in Ouagadougou, says coach
The WAFU-B qualifiers will determine the team that represents the zone at the 2026 CAF Women’s Champions League.






