FCCPC warns Nigerians against eating fruits ripened by chemicals

The Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission has warned Nigerians against consuming fruits ripened with calcium carbide.
FCCPC’s CEO, Olatunji Bello, gave the warning on Monday at a one-day sensitisation programme on food quality standards, organised by the agency in Ado-Ekiti.
Mr Bello, who was represented by the agency’s director of Quality Assurance, Nkechi Mba, frowned at the increasing sale of adulterated and contaminated foods in the markets.
The FCCPC boss lamented that perpetrators of such acts were putting the lives of many innocent Nigerians at great risk. He promised that the agency would not allow those responsible for such heinous acts to go scot-free.
According to him, the sensitisation programme is the first step towards alerting unsuspecting people and sending a warning signal to “defiant” perpetrators. He disclosed that a total enforcement of the law has commenced, noting that the agency would not shy away from performing its roles.
Mr Bello said the FCCPC has the statutory responsibility to protect and promote the interests and welfare of consumers at all times.
”The issues of food quality standards, safety, and fair business practices are more pressing than ever, but we continue to see alarming trends. Such alarming trends include principally the forceful ripening of fruits, using harmful chemicals, such as calcium carbide, which contains trace amounts of arsenic and phosphorus, both of which are highly toxic to humans. These practices not only endanger the lives of millions of Nigerians, but they also erode consumer trust and sabotage the integrity of our food systems,” he stated.
He said that the agency was collaborating with other agencies, such as the National Agency for Food, Drug Administration and Control, the Standard Organisation of Nigeria, and the Federal Ministries of Health and Agriculture, to ensure strict compliance.
He advised consumers to also watch carefully what they buy in the markets or at farms.
To prove his point, he disclosed that through regular market surveys, the FCCPC had been able to intervene in numerous cases involving hazardous food practices and had shut down facilities, imposed sanctions, and prosecuted offenders where necessary.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Politics
INEC chair Amupitan advises Tinubu, Atiku, Obi, other candidates on 2027 election campaign
“Tell the voters what you’ll do for the economy, security and education and how you intend to achieve it,” stated the INEC chairman.

Education
Katsina govt, UNICEF revive 450 learning hubs for children
UNICEF focal person at the State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB), Maijiadda Kai-Kai, disclosed this on Tuesday in Katsina.

States
NDLEA raids black spots, seize 1.28kg of illicit drugs
The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency says it dismantled three high-risk drug black spots in Kazaure council area.

Health
Women make up nearly 70% of global health workforce, study reveals
Women now make up nearly 70 per cent of health workers worldwide but remain concentrated in lower-paid professions with fewer leadership opportunities.

World
Three members of same family die in Sussex sea
Three members of the same family were confirmed dead after getting into difficulty in the water off Shoreham-by-Sea on Tuesday.

States
Niger govt unveils N100 million CEmONC equipment to reduce maternal, newborn deaths
Niger government has inaugurated N100 million worth of CEmONC equipment at selected general hospitals across the state to reduce maternal and newborn mortality.






