FCTA demolishes Cashew Garden, shanties in Apo

The City Sanitation Operation of the Federal Capital Territory has demolished illegal structures and shanties, popularly called “Cashew Garden” in Apo Cadastral Zone E27, Abuja.
The Director of Development Control, Mukhtar Galadima, who led the operation in Abuja on Tuesday, told journalists during the exercise that the move was to rid the city of criminals and miscreants.
He said, “You recall that we were at Zone 3, Wuse, and UTC for similar exercises since the commencement of the operation as directed by the FCT Security Committee. Today we are in Apo, dislodging shanties and miscreants, posing security threats to residents of the area.’’
The chairman of the garden, Steven Obiozo, said the 200 or so occupants were not criminals, adding that the area was given to them to occupy by the owner of the plot.
Mr Obiozo said the occupants built small tents and shops and were mainly selling provisions, food, beer and soft drinks.
Mr Galadima, however, insisted that their occupation of the area and operations was without government authorisation and, as such, illegal.
He added that the FCT Administration would revoke the land allocation for harbouring miscreants, who go about the city committing crimes.
Mr Galadima said that the area was designated for residential purposes, adding that allocations were made but the allottees failed to develop their plot within the stipulated time.
“So as has been directed by the FCT Security Committee, we are going to take over the area; we are going to possess it,” he said.
He said that the area had been planned with a clearly defined road corridor demarcated by a deep trench.
“The road is what we call the S20, an extension of Oladipo Diya that goes through FHA Apo, up to Guzape 2. So, the road is clearly defined, and the plots are also defined. So we have concluded, based on what we have seen, that all those people that own plots here and allow these people to erect illegal structures will lose the allocations and be reverted to the FCT Administration,” he said.
The director said that the operation would be extended to all nooks and crannies of the FCT.
Also speaking, Director, Security Services Department, FCTA, Adamu Gwary, said that the operation was making FCT hot for people with criminal tendencies in the territory.
Mr Gwary, represented by the Secretary, Command and Control, Peter Olumuji, said that some of the miscreants deal in illicit drugs.
“One thing we want criminals to know is that FCT is not a place they can urbanise again. Wherever you go, we are going to pursue you and smoke you out,” Mr Gwary said.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 2
FBI announces recruitment exercise in U.S, other countries
Mr Rothrock said America needs help to sustain its national peace from home and around the world.

States
Troops foil mass abduction in Zamfara
The spokesman for the operation said the incident occurred on Sunday.

Heading 5
Obi demands compensation for victims of electoral violence, killings in Osun
The NDC chieftain stressed the need for a democracy where elections are conducted without violence.

Abuja
Nigeria’s capital city Abuja flooded, vehicles submerged as FCT residents accuse Wike of encroaching on green areas
According to Mr Olayinka, the FCT administration is working to improve the drainage system.

Heading 4
NFF sacks Super Falcons coach, technical team After WAFCON, World Cup qualification failures
Mr Madugu led the team to their 10th WAFCON title in July 2025.

Sport
Coventry City confirm signing of Taiwo Awoniyi from Nottingham Forest
In 2022, Awoniyi signed with Nottingham Forest in a record fee worth €17.2 million.






