FCTA to clear shanties posing security threat, hampering developmental project

The Federal Capital Territory Administration states that it will ensure the clearance of all illegal settlements, particularly shanties that harbour criminals, and prevent developmental projects in Abuja.
The spokesman for the FCT minister, Lere Olayinka, stated this in a statement on Monday. Mr Olayinka said that the ongoing onslaught on criminal hideouts in Abuja would also continue.
“The FCTA described as worrisome security threats from parts of Durumi District, particularly Area 1 in Garki District. High-level criminal activities such as robbery, carjacking, drug peddling and other heinous crimes with their attendant security implications to law-abiding FCT residents cannot be allowed to continue,” he said.
Mr Olayinka explained that in an effort to ensure a safer Abuja, the FCT minister, Nyesom Wike, established a stakeholders’ committee, comprising heads of security agencies, FCTA officials, civil society organisations, and the Nigeria Union of Journalists, among others.
He stated that it was identified at the committee meeting that, apart from preventing land allottees from utilising their lands and the government from carrying out developmental projects, the shanties in Area 1, Durumi, have become operational bases for criminals.
“These criminals include kidnappers, drug peddlers, and one-chance operators. Three months ago, when security agencies carried out an operation in Area 1, Durumi, over 120 miscreants were arrested.
“Among those arrested in the operation that lasted over three hours were drug peddlers, one-chance operators, carjackers and armed robbers,” he said.
Mr Olayinka added that 79 stolen motorcycles and 155 stolen ATM cards were recovered, along with the stolen vehicles.
He said that these ATM cards were those snatched from victims of one-chance operators, using the settlement as their base. He stated that some of the shanties in Area 1, Durumi, had been cleared.
He, however, said that the shanties were back and the criminals have regrouped, making the area uninhabitable for law-abiding Nigerians.
Mr Olayinka said that the shanties and makeshift houses were built on land allocated more than 20 years ago, but the illegal settlers and criminals who turned the area into their abode have made it impossible for the allottees to make use of their lands.
He said that even government agencies have found it difficult to use their land in Area 1, Durumi.
“Consequently, the FCTA is already clearing shanties in the City Centre, and those in Area 1, Durumi, will be cleared very soon,” he said.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 2
FBI announces recruitment exercise in U.S, other countries
Mr Rothrock said America needs help to sustain its national peace from home and around the world.

States
Troops foil mass abduction in Zamfara
The spokesman for the operation said the incident occurred on Sunday.

Heading 5
Obi demands compensation for victims of electoral violence, killings in Osun
The NDC chieftain stressed the need for a democracy where elections are conducted without violence.

Abuja
Nigeria’s capital city Abuja flooded, vehicles submerged as FCT residents accuse Wike of encroaching on green areas
According to Mr Olayinka, the FCT administration is working to improve the drainage system.

Heading 4
NFF sacks Super Falcons coach, technical team After WAFCON, World Cup qualification failures
Mr Madugu led the team to their 10th WAFCON title in July 2025.

Sport
Coventry City confirm signing of Taiwo Awoniyi from Nottingham Forest
In 2022, Awoniyi signed with Nottingham Forest in a record fee worth €17.2 million.






