FCTA workers protest, shut secretariat over welfare issues

Workers of the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA), under the aegis of the Joint Union Action Congress (JUAC), shut the gates of the FCTA Secretariat on Monday in protest over unresolved welfare concerns.
Some concerns raised by JUAC president Rifkatu Iortyer include the non-payment of overhead costs to run offices since December 2024, lack of staff training and retraining, and the absence of promotions.
Other issues raised were salary payment inconsistencies and the prolonged strike by primary healthcare workers and teachers.
Ms Iortyer stated that the protest would continue until the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, addressed the workers.
She said the union would reconvene to decide its next action if no action is taken after three days.
While acknowledging Mr Wike’s reform efforts, particularly the establishment of the FCT Civil Service Commission, which allowed career progression to the rank of Permanent Secretary, she commended the step as a significant achievement.
However, she stressed that workers’ welfare remained severely neglected, leaving many in a state of despair.
“We are protesting for so many things, and we are not happy.
“We no longer go on training. Since December, there has been no overhead to run offices. We move from office to office just to borrow paper to work,” Ms Iortyer said.
She also noted that, apart from the appointment of permanent secretaries, there had been no promotions since August 2023, when the administration cleared an earlier backlog.
Mr Iortyer further decried the non-payment of casual workers, particularly those from the Abuja Environmental Protection Board (AEPB), since December 2024.
“These are the people who sweep the streets and attend to cemeteries and mortuaries.
“They may not be career civil servants, but they are human beings with families. If FCTA doesn’t want casual workers, it should absorb them fully into the system,” she said.
Although primary schools fall under the jurisdiction of the area councils, Ms Iortyer called on Mr Wike, as the “father of all,” to intervene and resolve the ongoing strike by teachers.
She reiterated that the protest would last for three days, after which further actions would be determined if no response was received.
As of the time of filing this report, no FCTA official had addressed the protesting workers.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Health
KSCHMA urges public awareness for better healthcare access
KSCHMA says sustained public enlightenment remains central to its mandate to improve healthcare access and enhance service delivery for Kaduna residents.

Economy
Women in business, politics summit to honour 10 Nigerian women
Ten Nigerian women from business, politics and other fields are set to receive honours at the Women in Business and Politics Summit 2026 in Abuja.

Rights
Gov Otu orders release of his administration’s critic, urges constructive criticism
Mr Odama was arrested on August 12 and imprisoned for criticising the governor for refusing to redeploy the commissioner for sports, whom, he said, was not performing.

Economy
ACCI seeks strong reforms to revive moribund enterprises
ACCI says credible regulation and private-sector partnerships are critical to restoring Nigeria’s moribund enterprises and productive economy.

States
BON hails INEC, calls for prosecution of Osun election offenders
The Broadcasting Organisation of Nigeria called for the immediate prosecution of all those found to have committed electoral crimes during the Osun governorship election.

Enugu
Ohanaeze Ndigbo approves bursary for 200 students studying Igbo language
Ohanaeze Ndigbo Worldwide has approved academic bursaries for 200 students studying Igbo in universities across Nigeria.






