Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Fellow actor Mario Rodriguez slams $77 million sexual assault suit on Tyler Perry

Mr Rodriguez says the two broke off contact in 2019, but Mr Perry would occasionally reach out afterwards.

• December 27, 2025
Tyler Perry and Mario Rodriguez
Tyler Perry and Mario Rodriguez

Hollywood filmmaker and actor Tyler Perry is facing another sexual assault lawsuit, this time from actor Mario Rodriguez, who appeared in the 2016 film Boo! A Madea Halloween. 

According to reports from Variety, Mr Rodriguez alleges that Mr Perry sexually assaulted him on multiple occasions at his Los Angeles home over several years. 

He is seeking at least $77 million in damages, claiming sexual assault, sexual battery, and intentional infliction of emotional distress. 

The complaint also targets Lionsgate, the film’s distributor, accusing the studio of ignoring Mr Perry’s alleged misconduct.

Mr Rodriguez, who played the minor role of “Frat Guy #10,” says he first met Mr Perry in 2015 through a trainer at a Los Angeles gym. 

Shortly after, he was invited to Mr Perry’s home to discuss acting opportunities. 

According to the lawsuit, Mr Perry allegedly engaged in inappropriate physical contact, including a 2018 incident in which he “tightly hugged” Mr Rodriguez and grabbed his genitals. 

Other alleged incidents include Mr Perry placing his hand on Mr Rodriguez’s leg and rubbing his inner thigh near his groin while insisting “It’s okay.” 

Mr Rodriguez says the two broke off contact in 2019, but Mr Perry would occasionally reach out afterwards.

Mr Rodriguez says he decided to file the lawsuit after reading about another actor, Derek Dixon, who sued Mr Perry in June 2025. 

Mr Dixon worked with Mr Perry on the BET series The Oval and accused him of sexual harassment, sexual assault, and retaliation after Dixon reported inappropriate behavior. 

Mr Dixon’s lawsuit, which sought roughly $260 million in damages, described alleged instances of Mr Perry using his power and influence to coerce or intimidate young actors. 

Though Mr Perry denied the allegations, the case was one of the first public claims against the filmmaker in 2025.

Mr Rodriguez alleges that Mr Perry continued to misuse his influence to target hopeful actors and that it was time to hold him accountable. 

The complaint also claims that when Mr Perry learned Mr Rodriguez was planning to file the lawsuit, he reached out by text, telling Mr Rodriguez he had done so much to help him and that he felt “betrayed.”

Mr Perry’s attorney, Alex Spiro, dismissed Mr Rodriguez’s claims as “an old, unfounded demand” driven by financial motives. 

He also noted that a similar filing by the same lawyer had previously failed. 

Mr Rodriguez’s lawyer, Jonathan Delshad, however, said his client looks forward to presenting his case in court and believes a jury would determine the truth. 

Mr Rodriguez says he filed the lawsuit to speak out against Mr Perry’s alleged abuse of power and to hold him accountable for his actions toward aspiring actors.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 2

FBI announces recruitment exercise in U.S, other countries 

Mr Rothrock said America needs help to sustain its national peace from home and around the world.

terrorists in Unguwar Rogo Village

States

Troops foil mass abduction in Zamfara 

The spokesman for the operation said the incident occurred on Sunday.

Peter Obi

Heading 5

Obi demands compensation for victims of electoral violence, killings in Osun

The NDC chieftain stressed the need for a democracy where elections are conducted without violence. 

flooding in Abuja.

Abuja

Nigeria’s capital city Abuja flooded, vehicles submerged as FCT residents accuse Wike of encroaching on green areas

According to Mr Olayinka, the FCT administration is working to improve the drainage system. 

Awoniyi in Conventy City shirt 

Sport

Coventry City confirm signing of Taiwo Awoniyi  from Nottingham Forest 

In 2022, Awoniyi signed with Nottingham Forest in a record fee worth €17.2 million.