FG reviewing hazard allowance to stop brain drain of doctors: Ngige
The federal government says it would make its final decision on the proposed new hazard allowance for health workers next week, as part of its plan to end brain drain in Nigeria’s health sector.
The Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, said this while speaking at the end of a meeting of the Presidential Committee on Salaries (PCS) with the leadership of the Nigeria Medical Association (NMA) and its affiliates on Monday in Abuja.
The meeting deliberated on the review of the hazard allowance, the NMA position on the retention of MDCAN and MEDSABAM members on CONMESS salary structure.
It also deliberated on removal of NYSC doctors/interns from the Scheme of Service and the presentation by the Federal Ministry of Health and Office of the Head of Service of the Federation on the upward review of retirement age for medical/health workers.
Mr Ngige described the review of the hazard allowance as part of the government’s efforts to make health workers happy and stem the tide of brain drain.
The minister reiterated the earlier position of the government that the present hazard allowance of N5000 was not envisaged by anybody and not meaningful for people working in a hazardous environment, such as health workers.
“We are putting a review of the hazard allowance and also vigorously pursuing the issue of Group Life Insurance.
“Besides, there is compensation for injuries sustained by any worker in the course of work through the Employee Compensation Act, ECA, handled by the Nigeria Social Insurance Trust Fund (NSITF).
“We intend in the 2022 fiscal year to make it a very universal item or application for all classes of workers including health workers,” he said.
More from Peoples Gazette
Mr Abdullahi said the community had suffered more than 13 attacks, lost more than 50 persons and have spent over N200 million in the last two years as ransom.
Liverpool are now second on the EPL log with 45 points in 21 games, displacing Chelsea who had 43 points in 22 games so far.
The APC chieftain, who is aspiring to become Nigeria’s president in 2023, has revved up visitations to politicians in the name of sympathy.
The traffic diversions and road rehabilitation would last for three months, Lagos transport commissioner said.
Police spokesman in the state, Wasiu Abiodun, in a statement in Minna on Sunday, said the victims were abducted at about 02:00 a.m. on Friday.
EEDC warned that if electricity theft was not abated, energy services in the region would be jeopardised.