FG withdraws gun case against Emefiele, files 20 new charges to circumvent valid court order to release ex-CBN chief

The federal government on Tuesday announced the filing of 20 new charges against Godwin Emefiele.
The government also said it was withdrawing its previous case that alleged illegal gun possession by the former central bank chief, according to an oral application submitted by the federal director of prosecutions Mohammed Abubakar Etsu.
But Mr Emefiele’s lawyer, Joseph Daudu, fiercely opposed the motion, stating his client must first be released on bail as the court had previously ruled before fresh charges can be filed.
Justice Nicholas Oweibo of the Abuja Division of the Federal High Court asked that both parties reconvene on Thursday, August 17, to give a ruling on the matter.
The government’s move appeared calculated at not complying with a valid court order that already released Mr Emefiele from custody based on the gun allegations. The order had yet to be vacated, but withdrawing the gun case and summarily filing a new case would give the government an excuse to continue keeping Mr Emefiele in custody over the new charges, a strategy federal authorities started using frequently since 2015 when former President Mohammadu Buhari was going after members of the previous administration of Goodluck Jonathan.
President Bola Tinubu fired Mr Emefiele, first appointed in June 2014, from office in June 2023 on allegations that he mismanaged the CBN. Mr Emefiele has been kept in custody ever since, despite two different federal judges ordering his release because no serious charges were filed against him that could warrant his extended detention under the Nigerian Constitution.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Economy
Recapitalisation: Shareholders seek deadline extension for insurers
Mr Okezie said withdrawing licences from companies making genuine efforts could hurt shareholders and investors whose funds remained tied up in affected firms.

States
Scores of terrorists killed in Borno air strikes: Army
The Nigerian Army said air platforms of its Operation Hadin Kai killed scores of terrorists in different locations across Borno State.

NationWide
Atiku pleads with FBI not to shield Tinubu, says president danger to Nigerians not Americans
“Our message is simple: Protect your investigators. Protect your sources. Protect your methods. But do not protect the truth from Nigerians,” Mr Atiku said.

NationWide
Nigerians react, allege Tinubu appointed Adedeji to divert taxes for 2027 campaign
Mr Adedeji was appointed deputy director of fundraising for Mr Tinubu’s 2027 presidential reelection campaign on Saturday.

States
Police dislodge bandits’ hideout, rescue three kidnap victims in Kaduna
Mr Hassan said the rescued victims have been reunited with their families, while efforts are ongoing to apprehend the fleeing suspects.

World
Chinese humanoid robot ‘Lightning’ beats Usain Bolt’s 100m world record
The robot’s time also edged Bolt’s world record of 9.58 seconds in the men’s 100m, which the Jamaican set at the 2009 World Athletics Championships in Berlin.






