Five GUO bus passengers abducted on Benin-Lagos road rescued: Police

The police command in Edo State has said five passengers were abducted when gunmen attacked a GUO Transport bus along the Benin–Lagos Expressway have been rescued alive.
The development came after earlier reports by the Peoples Gazette that the bus passengers were abducted along the Benin-Lagos expressway.
A mother of one of the victims also appealed to the public to help raise the N50 million ransom demanded by her daughter’s kidnappers.
Also, the GUO Transport Company earlier said that its Toyota Hiace bus was dispatched empty from Lagos to Onitsha before it was attacked by armed robbers along the Okada-Benin Road and killed its drivers. It, however, kept mum on abducted passengers.
The command’s spokesperson, Eno Ikoedem on Friday, disclosed in a statement that the victims were rescued alive following coordinated security operations.
The statement explained that the Edo State Commissioner of Police, Monday Agbonika, ordered the immediate deployment of tactical teams, intelligence assets, and aerial surveillance to the affected area.
She said, “The sustained rescue efforts, coordinated bush-combing operations, and strategic domination of the area exerted pressure on the kidnappers ultimately leading to the safe rescue of all victims.”
Mrs Ikoedem added that the rescued victims received medical attention and had been reunited with their families.
“In a related development, the command also successfully rescued four (4) other kidnap victims abducted earlier this month and held in captivity within the Imiegba forest in Agenebode. They have likewise received medical attention and are safe, making a total of Nine (9) kidnap victims rescued,” she said.
The police also reassured the public that security along the expressway and surrounding communities had been strengthened to ensure the safety of commuters.
She added that efforts were ongoing to arrest the perpetrators of the incident, promising to bring them to justice soon.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Politics
‘I won, beat you guys,’ Davido teases Wike over Osun poll victory
In the short clip, the singer said, “I won, beat you guys,” as Mr Wike responded, disputing the claim, saying, “No, no.”

NationWide
The face of Nigeria’s first naira trillionaire, his net worth, businesses
His multinational conglomerate was estimated at $35.2 billion (₦47.45 trillion based on ₦1,348 to $1). This makes him the 66th richest person globally.

NationWide
How El-Rufai started rumour about me being Mossad agent: Donald Duke
“It was Nasir El-Rufai who started the rumours about me being Mossad, and I confronted him about it,” Mr Duke said.

Economy
Atiku advertising economic ignorance by pushing to restore fuel subsidy in Nigeria: Tinubu
“One of my opponents now says he will go back to subsidy. I read it. That is a demonstration of serious ignorance of governance and economy,” Mr Tinubu stated.

Politics
Oluyede visits Ekiti governor, pledges support for Tinubu’s re-election
Wole Oluyede, PDP governorship candidate in the June 20 election in Ekiti, has promised to work for the re-election of President Bola Tinubu in the 2027 presidential election.

States
Humanitarian Crisis: Borno secures €61 million for peacebuilding
Borno has secured about €61 million in new funding from the United Nations and development partners to strengthen peacebuilding and recovery efforts.






