Forest reserves are govt. owned; farming, hunting are illegal: Ondo govt. tells protesting farmers

The Ondo government has described the farming activities of local farmers currently occupying the state forest reserve as “illegal”.
“Forest reserves are government-owned, and the government of Ondo State declares categorically that farming and hunting in its forest reserves are illegal acts,” Bamidele Ademola- Olateju, the Commissioner for Information and Orientation, said in a scanty statement on Friday.
The latest reaction from the government followed a protest by some farmers in the Odigbo Local Council Area of the state, alleging that they were evicted from their farmland.
The farmers, numbering over 10,000, had, through their lawyer, Tope Temokun, petitioned Governor Rotimi Akeredolu and claimed they had been farming on the forest reserve for over two decades.
In the copies of the petition published by Peoples Gazette, the protesting farmers noted that they were duly registered with the government.
However, they wonder why the state government would evict them from the Oluwa Forest Reserve – using the Amotekun operatives, the military, and other local militia.
Positing further in the statement obtained by The Gazette, Ademola-Olateju said the forest reserve belongs to the government, noting that farming and hunting over there are forbidden.
She said, “It is called encroachment and poaching, respectively, and it will not be tolerated.”
She noted that the government decided to register the farmers using its forest reserve a few years ago to prevent it from the criminal activities of kidnappers.
“A few years ago, to prevent our forests from becoming ungoverned spaces, where terrorists, bandits, kidnappers, and allied criminal actors situate their bases and camping grounds, we embarked on registration of farmers in our forest reserves as part of our security strategy Forest reserves in Ondo State, like others in Nigeria, were primarily created to serve as sanctuaries for endangered species of plants and animals and to preserve forests for the benefit of mankind.
“We admit that our forest reserves harbour squatters. Even though we have legal rights to evict those who encroach on government land without let nor hindrance, we have not done that.
“Many of these squatters have long inhabited these forests and have developed a false sense of ownership. It is no longer news that our forests have become spaces for criminal activities and hideouts for kidnappers, terrorists, ritual killers, and armed robbers who launch attacks on travellers,” the Commissioner added.
Mrs Ademola-Olateju further stated that the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) had created a window for states to develop commodities that are useful for import substitution.
She explained that Ondo state keyed in and identified oil palm as a crop which would have a competitive advantage.
“Immediately, we envisioned the Red Gold project and prioritised oil palm cultivation.
“For this purpose, one hundred thousand hectares (100,000 ha) was earmarked, of which 100ha will be treated as free and declassified.
“Two leading companies on the Nigerian Stock Exchange that are players in the oil palm value chain indicated interest as investors. One of them is SAO Agro-Allied Services Limited.”
According to her, the drive to open part of the Oluwa forest reserve was strictly a deliberate policy geared towards putting the state on a solid economic footing and less dependence on federal monthly allocation.
While stressing that the impact of the oil-palm (Red Gold) project has already been felt in terms of meaningful job creation with the enhanced flow of money into the state, Mrs Ademola-Olateju, however, said the registration of farmers in the forest was not the same as conferment of ownership.
“It was done mainly for identification. The state can evict squatters anytime and whenever the need arises.”
“The resort to blackmail by squatters who have granted themselves ownership and appointed Baale for themselves will not stand.”
The Commissioner stressed that the state government had engaged the farmers many times by discussing plans to settle those who farm on government land on 100 hectares in modern, organised farming.
“This was announced to their representatives in the presence of the Orunja of Odigbo (traditional ruler of Odigbo).
“The government of Ondo State wants to reiterate that no amount of blackmail and misinformation will make us rescind our decision on the use of government land,” she warned.
Regarding money paid to the government, Mrs Ademola-Olateju said rent was supposed to be paid annually.
“We challenge the over “10,000” farmers to produce evidence of payments to the government since they were registered,” she said, adding, “We have ceded 100 ha to them and SAO Agro plans its expansion in phases and in ways that will cause them to harvest their crops.”
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Diaspora
South African court adjourns ruling in ex-Miss Universe Nigeria Chidimma Adetshina deportation case until 2027
“We should not allow zenophobia and misinformation to determine how people are going to be treated. We should always be guided by the spirit of Ubuntu,” Miss Adetshina stated.

World
Ukraine’s ousted defence minister Fedorov demands fresh elections amid ongoing war with Russia
The eastern European country election was suspended primarily because of Russia’s full-scale invasion since February 2022.

Heading 5
U.S.-based Nigerian rapper MsJorji stirs fresh accusation as social media trends Poco Lee’s arrest in UK over alleged rape
MsJorji accused Poco Lee of assaulting her and a female friend at his residence in Dallas.

States
Soldiers rescue 14 kidnap victims, nab 16 suspects in Katsina operation
The military said the achievements were recorded during operations conducted between August 17 and 18.

States
Abuja man arraigned for allegedly stealing laptop worth N1.5 million
The defendant pleaded not guilty to the charge.

NationWide
NITAD seeks investment in local talents to drive national growth
Mr Mutfwang said the state government was committed to partnering with training institutions.






