Former media CEO admits bribing children’s way to top U.S. colleges

Former media executive, Elisabeth Kimmel, has pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud, after paying bribes to get her children into top colleges, federal prosecutors in Boston, United States said.
Mrs Kimmel, 57, admitted paying $525,000 to facilitate her children’s admission into Georgetown University and the University of Southern California respectively.
A statement released on Monday by the U.S. attorney’s office said the former media company CEO used slots reserved for recruited athletes to facilitate the admission.
She was said to have worked together with William “Rick” Singer – a college admissions consultant and others to pay $275,000 to secure her daughter’s admission into Georgetown University as a tennis recruit.
The prosecutors also said that former Georgetown tennis coach Gordon Ernst reportedly allocated a tennis admission slot to Mrs Kimmel’s daughter.
She was also said to have agreed with Singer to pay another $250,000 to get her son admitted to the University of Southern California as a pole vault recruit.
Prosecutors said neither of the children was a tennis player nor a pole vaulter.
According to the statement, Mrs Kimmel is the 32nd parent to plead guilty in the case and while Mr Singer previously pleaded guilty, Mr Ernst has pleaded not guilty.
“Under the terms of Kimmel’s plea agreement, the parties have agreed to a sentence of six weeks in prison and two years of supervised release, with the first year spent in home confinement. Should the Court accept the plea, Kimmel will also be required to pay a $250,000 fine and perform 500 hours of community service,” it said.
It concluded that “the charge of conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud provides for a sentence of up 20 years in prison, three years of supervised release and a fine of $250,000 or twice the gross gain or loss, whichever is greater. Sentences are imposed by a federal district court judge based upon the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines and other statutory factors.”
U.S. District Court Judge Nathaniel M. Gorton scheduled sentencing for Dec. 9, 2021.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Uncategorized
Why Nigeria is becoming an interesting market for international online casinos
Nigeria has an established betting culture, giving gaming businesses a starting point as they assess how consumers discover, compare and use platforms.

Port Harcourt
UNICEF seeks ethical reporting of children
The speakers stressed that the media could either compound children’s burdens or help protect them.

States
Ebonyi LG Poll: Police announce movement restriction
Ms Okafor warned that anyone found engaging in acts capable of causing a breakdown of law and order would face the full weight of the law.

Heading 1
Suspected cultists denied access to Davido at Ataoja’s palace shot 60-year-old man dead: Police
Police said the incident occurred around Ita-Olokan area of Osogbo at about 4 p.m., shortly after the governor visited the monarch alongside Davido.

Hot news Home top
Nigeria, Kenya lose $286 million music revenue annually to copyright gaps: U.S.
She urged policymakers to ratify and fully implement the WIPO Copyright Treaty.







