Thursday, September 29, 2022

Freighters threaten strike over shippers’ extortion

Freight forwarders have threatened to go on strike due to alleged extortion and high-handedness by shipping companies.

• October 22, 2021

Freight forwarders have threatened to go on strike due to alleged extortion and high-handedness by shipping companies.

The National Association of Government Approved Freight Forwarders (NAGAFF) disclosed this in a letter addressed to all the shipping companies on Thursday.

The letter was signed by the National Coordinator of the NAGAFF 100% Compliance Team, Ibrahim Tanko.

Mr Tanko explained that the letter served as a notification ahead of their plan to withdraw their services if the bottlenecks were not addressed.

He listed some of the complaints against the shipping companies as depletion of container deposit refunds, undue debits on equipment detention which brings the customs brokers into a collision course with their transporters and principals.

“The shipping companies engage in unnecessary extortions of our transporters for up to N150,000 before dropping empty containers, which are then passed back to us before returning our container cards,” said Mr Tanko. “We are also being subjected to incessant network issues which lead to inability to raise invoices and transmit TDOs to which we lose not less than N10 million per day. The shipping companies also engage in deceitful demand of opening of importer account/extortions before releasing invoice.”

He added that “we lose N50 million daily to the willful transfer of containers against the wish, consent or approval of consignees and subjected to illegal transfer charges against the directives of the Nigerian Shippers’ Council.”

Mr Tanko noted that due to their negligence or lack of capacity, the shipping companies foist on them undue equipment detention charges ranging from N200,000 per 1/40ft and N100,000 per 1/20ft multiplied by 1,000 containers.

He pointed out that freight forwarders had given the shipping companies a two-week ultimatum to address their grievances or face the pains of service disruption.

“Against this background, we wish to notify you that from October 25 to November 10, if these issues raised above are not properly addressed, we will withdraw our services,” he explained. “The letter addressed to all the shipping companies is also copied to all the government agencies, security agencies, and other stakeholders.”

He warned the predominantly foreign shipping companies not to open their offices at the end of the two-week ultimatum if they fail to heed their demands. 

(NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

Showbiz

‘I didn’t forget my bags’, Ruger shades Kizz Daniel as he lands in Tanzania

Ruger aimed a slight at Kizz following the latters ordeal in the same eastern Africa country in August.

President Muhammadu Buhari

World

Buhari restates Nigeria’s commitment to non-proliferation of nuclear weapons treaty

Mr Buhari said that expending further resources on nuclear weapons stockpiling and maintenance was senseless.

States

Four killed in fatal road accident in Bauchi

He said the accident involved one private car and a commercial vehicle and it was blameable on speed violation and loss of control.

Economy

Telcos threaten to cut off USSD services over banks’ N80 billion debt

The debt has now risen to N80 billion from N42 billion earlier this year, said ALTON president Gbenga Adebayo.

President Muhammadu Buhari

NationWide

Buhari cautions candidates, media handlers against personal attacks during campaigns

He said that as the president, he has always reiterated his commitment to a peaceful, credible and transparent election.

Politics

My 4 wives, 28 children will vote for Tinubu, APC: Ado Doguwa

“I have done my flag off with my 28 children and four wives, who will vote for Tinubu and every other candidate of the APC.”