FRSC commends FMC Abuja for investigating alleged negligent doctors, nurses

The Federal Road Safety Corps has commended the management of the Federal Medical Centre Jabi, Abuja, for taking decisive action against staff alleged to have neglected an accident victim.
The FRSC corps marshal, Shehu Mohammed, said this in a statement on Tuesday.
The victim had been rescued from a crash scene within the nation’s capital by a good Samaritan and was taken to FMC Abuja for treatment.
Mr Mohammed stressed the imperatives of timely and adequate medical attention in reducing mortality rates and improving outcomes for crash victims.
He called on all healthcare providers to adopt a more proactive approach in responding to emergencies and saving lives of rescued crash victims. He also condemned the several rejection of crash victims from FRSC operatives by hospitals.
He revealed that the National Road Traffic Regulations (2024) specifically cautions hospitals against rejecting crash victims.
This, he said was with detailed provision of adequate punishment for negligence, or any form of misconduct that compromised established regulations on handling of crash victims.
“We urge healthcare providers to prioritise welfare of crash victims and uphold the highest standards of professionalism to save their lives,” he stated.
The FRSC boss reiterated the FRSC’s commitment to collaborate with healthcare providers and other stakeholders to enhance road safety and save lives.
“By working together, we can reduce incidences of crashes fatalities to the barest minimum, and improve response to emergencies,” he added.
The corps marshal commended the individual who rescued the victim.
Mr Mohammed called on citizens to emulate the sense of patriotism by joining hands in promoting a culture of safety, discipline, and professionalism to make a difference and save more lives.
The FMC management said eight workers—including four doctors, two nurses, and two attendants—were currently under investigation for alleged professional negligence.
The hospital management told journalists that any found guilty of dereliction of duty would be held accountable.
The hospital’s head of clinical services, Bioku Muftau, confirmed that the accident victims allegedly abandoned by hospital personnel—featured in a viral video circulating on social media—have been treated and discharged.
Mr Muftau said the patient with a head injury, who appeared in the video and drew widespread public concern, was stabilised and discharged the same day he arrived at the facility.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Hot news Home top
Nigeria, Kenya lose $286 million music revenue annually to copyright gaps: U.S.
She urged policymakers to ratify and fully implement the WIPO Copyright Treaty.

Faith
Isese Day: Traditional worshippers urge Nigerians to pray for country’s progress
Isese Day is celebrated every August 20.

Economy
Apapa customs record N28 billion in single-day revenue
He attributed the latest milestone to sustained reforms and improved compliance.

Agriculture
Katsina govt begins distribution of 90,000 bags of grains to vulnerable citizens
Mr Radda said food palliatives alone could not provide a lasting solution to food insecurity.

Health
UNICEF, Katsina mobilise faith leaders to boost vaccination, child health
He said religious leaders were strategically positioned to build trust and encourage families to embrace vaccination.

Sport
Cape Verde appoint Humberto Bettencourt as new head coach
Bettencourt’s new role comes after six years working alongside Bubista.






