Gavi donates one million meningococcal vaccines to health ministry to combat outbreak in northern Nigeria

A public-private vaccine alliance with the vision to support children vaccination around the world, Gavi, has donated one million doses of meningococcal vaccines to the Nigerian health ministry to stem the outbreak in the northern part of the country.
The vaccines were received this week by the ministry according to a statement on Friday by Gavi.
The agency said, “This week, Nigeria’s Ministry of Health received over 1,000,000 pentavalent meningococcal conjugate vaccine (Men5CV) doses from the Gavi-funded global stockpile to combat the meningococcus C and W outbreak in northern Nigeria.’’
Gavi noted that the vaccines were aimed at combating meningococcus outbreak which already claimed over 70 lives, with more than 800 cases across 23 states.
“This first shipment will enable the launch of an outbreak response campaign targeting individuals aged 1–29 years, the most severely affected group. The campaign will initially launch in Kebbi and Sokoto states, with plans to expand to Yobe State as additional doses arrive in the country,” Gavi said.
Head of High-Impact Outbreaks, Francisco Luquero, said “With Gavi’s support, vaccines successfully eliminated meningitis A from Africa’s meningitis belt. Now, they are also combating other serogroups of this deadly and debilitating disease, bringing us closer to our goal of eliminating meningitis by 2030. Continued investment in this work is critical to protect the incredible progress made so far, control future outbreaks, and dramatically reduce the devastating impact that seasonal epidemics of meningitis have on families and communities.”
The Coordinating Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Muhammad Pate, was quoted by Gavi in the statement as saying “We are grateful for the support of Gavi, the World Health Organisation (WHO) and UNICEF in enabling this swift deployment. Together, we are not only containing today’s outbreak but also laying the foundation to eliminate meningitis and strengthen routine immunisation for the future.”
Meningococcal meningitis – an infection of the meninges, the thin lining that surrounds the brain and spinal cord – is most prevalent in Africa’s ‘meningitis belt’, which stretches across 26 countries in Africa – from Senegal in the West to Ethiopia in the East – with an at-risk population of about 500 million, according to Gavi.
It added, “Those at highest risk of infection are infants, children and young adults. One in four survivors suffers permanent disabilities such as hearing loss; seizures; limb weakness; difficulties with vision, speech, language, memory and communication; as well as scarring and limb amputations.”
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 5
Prince Harry, Elton John, five others ordered to make initial payment of £9.5 million to Daily Mail publisher
The judge said the plaintiffs had not built an airtight case.

World
Russia’s drone attack kills five, injures 52 in Ukraine
Mr Zelenskyy stated that all the injured victims were receiving the necessary medical care.

Anti-Corruption
ICPC uncovers another fake agency operating in Tinubu’s govt
Mr Aliyu said the fake agency was discovered during ongoing investigations into the Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council.

Heading 2
FIFA hands Paredes 10-match ban, $90,000 fine over World Cup final clash with Spain players
Teammate Nahuel Molina was also fined the same amount and handed a seven-match suspension.

Heading 4
U.S. condemns suspension of Cofnas over plagiarism claims against Arday
Mr Cofnas, a self-described “race realist” U.S. academic, said he was suspended by the institution on Thursday.

Africa
China, UN agree to strengthen cooperation for Sierra Leone’s development
Both sides emphasised the value of closer coordination among Sierra Leone, the UN and China.






