Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Gaza War: ICC prosecutor under fire over order seeking arrest of Netanyahu, other Israeli leaders  

Mr Blinken described the order as shameful.

• May 21, 2024
Israeli Prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu (Credit: CNN)
Israeli Prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu (Credit: CNN)

Israeli Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu has faulted the International Criminal Court for seeking arrest warrants against him alongside Hamas’s leaders over alleged war crimes in the Gaza conflict, describing it as “an absurd and false order.”

This came after the ICC’s prosecutor, Karim Khan, announced he was pursuing arrest warrants against Mr Netanyahu and the Israeli defence minister, Yoav Gallant. 

Mr Khan is also seeking the arrest of three leading Hamas leaders, Yahya Sinwar, Mohammed Diab Ibrahim al-Masri and Ismail Haniyeh over Hamas’s deadly attack on Israel on October 7 last year over allegations of war crimes and crimes against humanity.

In October, Hamas gunmen attacked Israel, killing about 1,200 people and holding 252 as hostages. 

Territory’s Hamas-run health ministry noted that the attack triggered the current war, in which at least 35,500 Palestinians had been killed in Gaza.

However, U.S. president, Joe Biden, denounced as ‘outrageous’ the application by the court for warrants seeking the arrest of Mr Netanyahu with the senior members of Hamas for the Gaza incident.

Also, U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken backed Mr Biden’s condemnation, saying Washington “fundamentally rejects” the move, describing it as shameful.  

Mr Blinken said, “The ICC has no jurisdiction over this matter.’’

He also stated that seeking arrest warrants would jeopardise ongoing efforts to reach a ceasefire deal.

Mr Netanyahu said he rejected with disgust that “democratic Israel” had been compared with what he called “mass murderers.”

“With what audacity the ICC would dare to compare Hamas and Israel,” he said in a public statement

The longest-serving Israeli prime minister accused the prosecutor of “callously pouring gasoline on the fires of antisemitism that are raging across the world.”

Israel’s Foreign Minister Israel Katz called the move by Mr Khan an “unrestrained frontal assault” on the victims of the October 7 attacks and a “historical disgrace that will be remembered forever.”

Some Israel’s Western allies however avoided directly criticising the ICC in their statements.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Cholera patients

Africa

EU allocates €2.3 million to curb cholera outbreaks in Nigeria, Chad, Cameroon, CAR

The European Commission has allocated €2.3 million in emergency humanitarian funding to Nigeria, Cameroon, the Central African Republic and Chad to help contain cholera.

Doctors with the removed bladder stone

World

Doctors remove 3.1kg bladder stone from man in Sri Lanka

The surgery was performed on Friday, after which the bladder stone, also weighing as much as a newborn baby, was removed.

Court jails two for illegal naira cash trading at Lagos event centre

Anti-Corruption

Court jails two for illegal naira cash trading at Lagos event centre

The court sentenced two persons to six months’ imprisonment each after they pleaded guilty to unlawfully trading naira notes.

victims rescued in Katsina

States

14 kidnap victims rescued in Katsina

Troops rescued six males and eight females abducted in Katsina State.

Nnaji Chidiebere

States

Police arrest suspected transformer vandal in Enugu

Police said the suspect was found unconscious with various degrees of injuries.

U.S. Department of Justice

World

U.S. govt indicts 17 Iranians over cyber theft

Prosecutors said the suspects allegedly stole more than 31 terabytes of data from institutions across the U.S.