Gbajabiamila: I borrowed N400 million to buy appointment in Tinubu’s government, says Adeyemi

Adeyemi Adeniyi, the director-general of the Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council, who accused the chief of staff to the president, Femi Gbajabiamila, of collecting a bribe in exchange for his appointment, said he borrowed the N400 million he used to buy his appointment.
Mr Adeyemi, in an interview with Channels TV on Monday, doubled down on his earlier claim that Mr Gbajabiamila had collected a bribe of N400 million in exchange for his appointment as director of the agency, a claim now dismissed as fake.
“I borrowed this money (N400 million),” Mr Adeyemi said when asked how he raised the funds. “In fact, those that I borrowed this N400 million from have reported to the EFCC. I borrowed the money to pay for this appointment. I’m even yet to repay the money.”
When asked about allegations that he once paraded himself as a United Nations ambassador, Mr Adeyemi said, “It is all sponsored. It is a campaign of calumny.”
Before now, Mr Adeyemi had, at a press conference, accused Mr Gbajabiamila of collecting N400 million through a proxy and demanding an additional N200 million to secure the appointment.
The presidency dismissed Mr Adeyemi’s allegation, claiming he is heading a fictitious agency, though evidence shows his agency received funding from the annual budget and had office space in the federal secretariat in Abuja.
Last week, amid public outrage trailing Mr Adeyemi’s allegations, President Bola Tinubu ordered the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) to investigate Mr Gbajabiamila and others allegedly involved in the PFIPC bribery and forgery scandal.
While Mr Adeyemi’s allegations against Mr Gbajabiamila are yet to be resolved, Peoples Gazette on Monday exclusively reported how Mr Gbajabiamila used fake law to corner N54 billion oil revenue from NUPRC.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Economy
Subsidy removal made life difficult for Nigerians, Tinubu used money to fund governors’ opulent lifestyle: Atiku
“That is not reform. It is economic arson followed by propaganda about the ashes,” Phrank Shaibu said of President Bola Tinubu’s policies.

Politics
I won’t focus on religion, ethnicity in my 2027 presidential election campaign: Obi
“Daddy, I need you to speak to your people in the South-West and Kwara, the Christians in the South-West and Kwara,” Mr Obi said in 2023. “This is a religious war.”

Politics
Elegushi hails Olu of Warri on fifth coronation anniversary
The traditional ruler of Ikate-Elegushi Kingdom, Saheed Elegushi, has praised the Olu of Warri, Ogiame Atuwatse III, for five years of purposeful leadership.

Politics
Women networks unveil ‘Project 4+4’ for Tinubu, Shettima
APC women have unveiled the ‘Project 4+4 for Tinubu/Shettima 2027’.

Rights
Rivers: NAPTIP seals off ‘baby factory’ in Port Harcourt
NAPTIP says it has sealed a maternity home in Port Harcourt, Rivers, suspected of operating illegal baby factory activities and trafficking children.

Anti-Corruption
Procurement bureau seeks stronger CSO participation in public procurement monitoring
BPP has called for stronger participation of civil society organisations in monitoring Nigeria’s public procurement system to ensure value for public expenditure.






