God cleared me of corruption charges: Diezani

Nigeria’s former petroleum minister, Diezani Alison-Madueke, says God “completely vindicated” her after Southwark Crown Court in the United Kingdom acquitted her of corruption-related charges.
“I am deeply relieved. My name is cleared. This nightmare is over,” Mrs Alison-Madueke said in a statement on Wednesday. “I thank God Almighty for His faithfulness and for completely vindicating me.”
Mrs Alison-Madueke was first arrested in London in October 2015 and was charged in 2023 with five counts of accepting bribes and one count of conspiracy to commit bribery.
British prosecutors accused her of receiving at least £100,000 and other benefits they called “financial or other advantages” from oil and gas titans who sought lucrative contracts.
Among other “life of luxury” benefits prosecutors said she enjoyed were private-jet flights, chauffeur-driven cars, the use and upkeep of a London property, luxury goods, and school fees for her son.
Mrs Alison-Madueke was tried alongside Ayinde Olatimbo Bukola and Agama Doye as the first, second, and third defendants. The trial began in January this year.
The former minister under former President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration between 2010 and 2015 denied any wrongdoing but had been on bail.
Following more than 46 hours of deliberation by the jury, Mrs Alison-Madueke was cleared of all charges.
“For eleven long, gruelling years, this case has hung over my head and has tormented me and my family,” Mrs Alison-Madueke said after the court ruling. “But today, the past decade of relentless and unjust vilification, condemnation, and scrutiny has finally come to an end.”
Mr Alison-Madueke, the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) president between 2014 and 2015, described the decades-long investigation as the “dark period”.
“I will speak more about this dark period and my plans for the future, but right now I am going to enjoy the freedom that has been unjustly stolen from me for far too many years,” she added.
Mrs Allison-Madueke has pending corruption and money laundering cases in Nigeria.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
Lagos APC targets three million votes for Tinubu in 2027
Mr Ojelabi said the party’s performance in the 2023 presidential election was disappointing, and urged members to use the 2027 election to redeem its image.

States
Remi Tinubu inaugurates national community food bank for South-West
She said the programme is a deliberate, sustainable response to food insecurity and malnutrition among vulnerable households nationwide.

States
I would have delivered Osun to Tinubu even if people voted against APC: Wike
Mr Wike insisted the outcome of the election would have been different if he had been on the federal government team that went to Osun State.

Opinion
Obiageli Ezekwesili: President Tinubu, terminate the dodgy £746 million ports deal
To my fellow citizens, this deal will worsen Nigeria’s fiscal and economic future. I have spoken. You have a voice. Use it.

States
Kano govt bans IV fluid, blood transfusion at patent medicine stores
The Kano State government has banned patent medicine stores across the state from administering intravenous (IV) fluid infusion and blood transfusion.

States
Gov Mbah increases ESUT subvention to N276 million, urges ASUU to suspend strike
The increase brings the state government’s total monthly funding to ESUT from N161 million to N276 million.






