Governor Alia ignored military alert that could’ve prevented herdsmen massacre in Benue: Tinubu Govt

Over a hundred Benue residents were killed last week after heavily armed attackers invaded the Yelewata community, a situation President Bola Tinubu’s government blamed on Governor Hyacinth Alia’s alleged failure to act on a detailed security report on his desk.
Between 11:00 p.m. Friday and the wee hours of Saturday, scores of suspected herdsmen attacked Yelewata, torching homes of farmers and their families, including women and children and leaving charred skulls in their wake.
But the presidency said the Benue massacre could have been averted had Mr Alia not ignored the security report prepared by a league of retired generals on how to address the herder-farmer violent clashes. The presidency disclosed that the military document was “handed” to the Benue governor about two years ago.
Presidential spokesman Sunday Dare asked Mr Alia to “dust up” the document and implement the security recommendations.
“League of Retired Generals from Benue State 18 months ago handed a security brief to Governor Hycent (sic) Alia,” Mr Dare wrote in a statement on Tuesday. “This is the time to dust up that document as President Tinubu charges all Stakeholders in Benue to find a lasting solution to the incessant farmers-herders clash.”
The governor’s spokesperson, Tersoo Kula, told Peoples Gazette he needed time to verify Mr Dare’s allegation and “respond accordingly.”
Messrs Tinubu and Alia have come under scathing criticisms for their handling of the unfettered, ferocious attack that killed hundreds of locals, including women and children.
Mr Tinubu, who had waited for more than 24 hours before condemning the attack, is scheduled to visit Benue on Wednesday.
According to Mr Dare, past and current politicians, including lawmakers and ministers, had trooped to Makurdi ahead of Mr Tinubu’s visit.
“This time, a renewed commitment to stopping the bloodletting and finding a lasting solution seems on hand,” Mr Dare assured. “They have come around because they also believe that President Tinubu will engage and ensure that peace returns.”
Already, the governor had rallied grieving residents to come out massively to give Mr Tinubu a “rousing welcome” despite the doom and gloom that has enveloped the state while he opposed the idea of self-defence for the locals.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Economy
Iran War: Trump threatens to bomb Oman over Strait of Hormuz
President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman in the Middle East if it “gets in the way” of its deal between the United States and Iran over the Strait of Hormuz.

World
Thousands keep vigil to mourn Jason Arday
Thousands of people gathered on Monday at a vigil in Trafalgar Square for Jason Arday, a 41-year-old Cambridge University professor who died amid allegations of plagiarism.

Africa
Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history
WHO says Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is now the deadliest the country has ever faced.

Economy
Abia tax reform targets efficiency, says commissioner
The Abia government says its tax reforms are designed to improve transparency, accountability and efficiency in revenue collection.

States
NDLEA vows to crush drug cartels in Nigeria
The chairman of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, Buba Marwa, has vowed to sustain the agency’s crackdown on drug cartels.

States
Zamfara Accord Party governorship candidate hails Adeleke
Zamfara Accord Party governorship flag bearer Musa Yusuf-Garba felicitated Governor Ademola Adeleke on his re-election in the August 15 Osun election.






