Grammy-winning rapper Bad Bunny lands first lead role in Residente’s directorial film debut

Global music superstar Benito Martínez Ocasio, known as Bad Bunny, will star as the lead actor in the directorial debut of Puerto Rican rapper René Pérez Joglar, popularly known as Residente.
The film ‘Porto Rico,’ is an epic Caribbean western and historical drama with supporting cast including Viggo Mortensen, Edward Norton, and Javier Bardem, and Oscars winning filmmaker Alejandro G. Iñárritu, attached as executive producer.
The screenplay was co-written by Residente and Oscar-winning screenwriter Alexander Dinelaris.
When the film was announced in 2023, it was described as a historical drama inspired by the life of Puerto Rican revolutionary José Maldonado Román, also known as Águila Blanca (White Eagle).
The late 19th-century story follows Maldonado Román’s fight against colonialism as he led a group of ex-convicts in a bid to declare Puerto Rico’s identity.
The project marks a major acting milestone for Bad Bunny, who continues to expand his presence in Hollywood.
While he previously appeared in films such as ‘Bullet Train,’ and ‘ Caught Stealing,’ ‘Porto Rico’ will experience him for the first time as a lead actor.
His casting comes during a standout period in his career.
The Puerto Rican star was Spotify’s most-streamed artist globally in 2025.
He also delivered a show-stopping performance during the Super Bowl halftime, with over 104 million views on YouTube.
Expressing his joy in an Instagram post, Residente described the production as a deeply personal, lifelong ambition.
He said, “I have dreamed of making a film about my country since I was a child. Puerto Rico’s true history has always been surrounded by controversy. This film is a reaffirmation of who we are, told with the intensity and honesty that our history deserves.”
He added that the story was written over many years, shaped between tours, life experiences, and artistic evolution, describing the film as the most ambitious undertaking of his career.
The 33-time Grammy winner also expressed admiration for the cast, noting his disbelief at working alongside actors he had long watched on screen, including Mortensen, Bardem and Norton.
Speaking on Bad Bunny’s involvement, he said the casting was driven by emotional authenticity rather than performance alone.
“I’m not looking for an actor, I’m looking for someone who hurts Puerto Rico as much as me and who is as proud as I am when they sing our true anthem,” he said.
The filmmaker further credited Iñárritu as a mentor in cinema and thanked Dinelaris for his guidance in screenwriting.
He also acknowledged Puerto Rican historians, filmmakers, investors and members of his production team who contributed to bringing the project to life.
He also paid a tribute to his homeland, thanking Puerto Rico for shaping his identity and inspiring the film.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 2
FBI announces recruitment exercise in U.S, other countries
Mr Rothrock said America needs help to sustain its national peace from home and around the world.

States
Troops foil mass abduction in Zamfara
The spokesman for the operation said the incident occurred on Sunday.

Heading 5
Obi demands compensation for victims of electoral violence, killings in Osun
The NDC chieftain stressed the need for a democracy where elections are conducted without violence.

Abuja
Nigeria’s capital city Abuja flooded, vehicles submerged as FCT residents accuse Wike of encroaching on green areas
According to Mr Olayinka, the FCT administration is working to improve the drainage system.

Heading 4
NFF sacks Super Falcons coach, technical team After WAFCON, World Cup qualification failures
Mr Madugu led the team to their 10th WAFCON title in July 2025.

Sport
Coventry City confirm signing of Taiwo Awoniyi from Nottingham Forest
In 2022, Awoniyi signed with Nottingham Forest in a record fee worth €17.2 million.






