Group decries detention of Nigerian, others after Israel’s interception of Gaza-bound aid flotilla

A pan-African organisation, Africans Rising, on Thursday, raised alarm over the continued detention of three Africans, following the interception of the Global Sumud Flotilla (GSF) voyage, earlier in October, by Israel’s naval officers.
Africans Rising, in a Facebook post, demanded the immediate and unconditional release of a Nigerian, Okey Nnorom Vitalis, also known as Michael, along with two other Moroccans, Azizi Ghali and Ben Daraaoui.
The pan-African organisation said, “Africans Rising welcomes the release of some abducted Global Sumud Flotilla participants, but several activists remain in Israeli detention, including African activists, notably from Nigeria and Morocco.”
“These are humanitarian peace advocates, not criminals. Their only mission was to deliver food, medicine, and solidarity to Gaza’s besieged people,” the group added.
Demanding the release of all detained participants, Africans Rising called on concerned parties and world leaders to “end Israel’s unlawful attacks on humanitarian missions.”
Confirming the detention, the Global Sumud Flotilla, on Thursday and in an X post, revealed that “Israel had earlier said he was handed over to the Nigerian Embassy in Jordan, misleading GS Flotilla lawyers about his true status.”
Video footage, obtained by Peoples Gazette, showed a participant on one of the Global Sumud Flotilla (GSF) ships, Omar Al-Mukhtar, self-identified as ‘Michael’ and a Nigerian, decrying the imminent risk of being attacked by the Israeli maritime officers.
“I am Michael from Nigeria, working here as a mechanic, heading to Palestine for humanitarian aid. We are here to speak to the world that we, on the vessel and other crew, are at risk because we are afraid that the Israelites might attack. We pray we shall arrive in Palestine without any difficulty, and we shall deliver all the goods we have to them,” Mr Michael said.
Meanwhile, six other Libyan nationals on the Omar Al-Mukhtar ship had been safely deported, following diplomatic and legal interventions by Libya’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 2
FBI announces recruitment exercise in U.S, other countries
Mr Rothrock said America needs help to sustain its national peace from home and around the world.

States
Troops foil mass abduction in Zamfara
The spokesman for the operation said the incident occurred on Sunday.

Heading 5
Obi demands compensation for victims of electoral violence, killings in Osun
The NDC chieftain stressed the need for a democracy where elections are conducted without violence.

Abuja
Nigeria’s capital city Abuja flooded, vehicles submerged as FCT residents accuse Wike of encroaching on green areas
According to Mr Olayinka, the FCT administration is working to improve the drainage system.

Heading 4
NFF sacks Super Falcons coach, technical team After WAFCON, World Cup qualification failures
Mr Madugu led the team to their 10th WAFCON title in July 2025.

Sport
Coventry City confirm signing of Taiwo Awoniyi from Nottingham Forest
In 2022, Awoniyi signed with Nottingham Forest in a record fee worth €17.2 million.






