Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Gunman in attempted assassination of Slovakia PM arrested, charged

Mr Fico, 59, who returned to power last year and whose controversial policy changes have sparked protests in recent weeks.

• May 16, 2024
Slovakia PM and gunman
Slovakia PM and gunman

A suspect has been charged with the attempted murder of Slovakian Prime Minister Robert Fico, who is critically ill in hospital after being shot several times in an attempted assassination. 

Mr Fico’s assassination attempt shocked the central European country and sparked global condemnation of what is seen as a ‘politically motivated’ attack. 

The populist leader was attacked on Wednesday after an off-site government meeting in Handlova.

He had approached a small crowd of people waiting to meet him when the suspected gunman in the crowd lunged forward and shot him five times from across a security barrier. 

Multiple local media outlets have identified the alleged shooter as a 71-year-old man from southern Slovakia.

Footages from the scene showed the injured Mr Fico being bundled into a vehicle by his staff before it sped away with him inside. 

Nobody else was injured in the attack.

Although he’s currently stable, he is now undergoing surgery after being shot five times from a close range.

“Mr Fico is not out of a life-threatening situation,” the deputy prime minister,  Robert Kaliňák, told journalists.

Hospital officials said Mr Fico was first rushed into a local hospital and then airlifted to a major trauma centre in the nearby city of Banská Bystrica, where he spent more than five hours in surgery.

Miriam Lapuníková, hospital director, said the facility had two surgical teams operating on the prime minister.

Slovakia’s interior minister Matúš Šutaj-Eštok said the suspect told law enforcement officers that his action was motivated by his disagreement with the government and its reforms.

Mr Šutaj-Eštok said the suspect told law enforcement that his action was motivated by his disagreement with Mr Fico’s government’s policies. 

Mr Fico, 59, who returned to power last year and whose controversial policy changes have sparked protests in recent weeks.

His reforms, considered divisive, led to months of largely peaceful protests. Since Mr Fico’s return to power last year, Slovaks have been deeply divided over the country’s direction and position in the world.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Cholera patients

Africa

EU allocates €2.3 million to curb cholera outbreaks in Nigeria, Chad, Cameroon, CAR

The European Commission has allocated €2.3 million in emergency humanitarian funding to Nigeria, Cameroon, the Central African Republic and Chad to help contain cholera.

Doctors with the removed bladder stone

World

Doctors remove 3.1kg bladder stone from man in Sri Lanka

The surgery was performed on Friday, after which the bladder stone, also weighing as much as a newborn baby, was removed.

Court jails two for illegal naira cash trading at Lagos event centre

Anti-Corruption

Court jails two for illegal naira cash trading at Lagos event centre

The court sentenced two persons to six months’ imprisonment each after they pleaded guilty to unlawfully trading naira notes.

victims rescued in Katsina

States

14 kidnap victims rescued in Katsina

Troops rescued six males and eight females abducted in Katsina State.

Nnaji Chidiebere

States

Police arrest suspected transformer vandal in Enugu

Police said the suspect was found unconscious with various degrees of injuries.

U.S. Department of Justice

World

U.S. govt indicts 17 Iranians over cyber theft

Prosecutors said the suspects allegedly stole more than 31 terabytes of data from institutions across the U.S.