Saturday, August 22, 2026

Gunman with mental health history killed after opening fire near White House:  U.S. Officials

Authorities identified the shooter as Nasire Best, a 21-year-old man.

• May 24, 2026
U.S. Secret Service agents
U.S. Secret Service agents[Credit: ny Times]

A gunman was shot dead near the White House after exchanging fire with U.S. Secret Service officials on Saturday evening.

Authorities confirmed the incident and identified the shooter as Nasire Best, a 21-year-old man who had a history of mental health issues.

Kash Patel, in a post on X, said, “FBI is on the scene and supporting Secret Service responding to shots fired near White House grounds – we will update the public as we’re able.”

In a post on Truth Social, President Donald Trump appreciated the Secret Service for their “swift and professional action” in apprehending the gunman, who he said had a “violent history and possible obsession with our Country’s most cherished structure.”

The U.S. Secret Service, in a statement, confirmed that “Shortly after 6 p.m Saturday an individual in the area of 17th street and Pennsylvania Avenue pulled a weapon from his bag and began firing.”

It added, “Secret Service Police returned fire striking the suspect who was transported to an area hospital where he was pronounced deceased. During the shooting one bystander was also struck by gunfire.”

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Gunmen

States

Terrorists storm Niger mosque during prayers, abduct worshippers

The police said security operatives had been deployed to the area for assessment and rescue operations.

Abdulaziz Yari

Heading 2

2027: Ex-Zamfara governor Yari named APC campaign DG for Tinubu’s re-election

Muiz Banire will head the Legal Directorate, with Dr Liman Hassan and Babatunde Ogala as deputies.

George Buchi Nwabueze

Hot news Home top

Photo, details of Nwabueze Buchi George, coordinator of fresh fake agency ICPC uncovered in Tinubu’s govt

The Peoples Gazette’s check for Mr Nwabueze’s digital footprint showed he runs social media accounts and a website: Made in Nigeria.

Governor Agbu Kefas, Aisha Barde and others

States

Taraba govt unveils action plan to tackle climate change

Mr Kefas urged the federal government, the national council on climate change and other stakeholders to work with the state to implement the policy and action plan.

Edo Queens (Credit: Nigerian Guardian)

Africa

Edo Queens ready to contest WAFU B qualifying ticket in Ouagadougou, says coach

The WAFU-B qualifiers will determine the team that represents the zone at the 2026 CAF Women’s Champions League.

NationWide

Troops rescued 59 kidnap victims, killed several terrorists in one-week nationwide operations: DHQ

Mr Onoja said the troops of Operation Hadin Kai rescued eight kidnap victims during the week in the North-East.