Friday, June 18, 2021

Gunmen didn’t invade Ekiti market, police says

“The report that trended on social media was not just false but “a lie from the pit of hell.”

• June 10, 2021

The Ekiti police command have described the reported invasion of Shasha market in Ado-Ekiti by armed Hausa/Fulani persons as false.

The command’s spokesperson Sunday Abutu said that the report trending on social media was not just false but “a lie from the pit of hell.”

He said that the report alleging that the marauding Hausa/Fulani persons were armed with AK-47 rifles and other weapons was fabricated and spread by enemies of the society to cause unnecessary panic in the state.

Mr Abutu said that on June 9, at about 5:00 p.m., a truck loaded with bags of beans, dried fish, onions and other food items from Sokoto State, heading to Akure and Ondo States stopped by at Shasha Market junction, Ado-Ekiti, to offload five bags of fish.

“In the process, they were accosted by Amotekun personnel and interrogated, but were later cleared to offload the bags of fish and proceed with their journey.

“This was after confirming that nothing incriminating was found on them, as alleged.

“More so, the said truck did not even enter the market, but only stopped at the junction, and had earlier stopped by at Ifaki-Ekiti where some bags of beans were offloaded,” he said.

The police spokesman implored members of the public, especially people of the state, to disregard what he called the unfounded rumour, as there was no iota of truth in it.

He pledged, on behalf of the Commissioner of Police in the state, that the command would continue to work with relevant bodies to ensure the safety of lives and property.

Mr Abutu urged everyone to be calm and avoid any form of apprehension but cautioned them to be security conscious and ensure timely report of any ugly incident or suspected person(s) found around their neighbourhood to relevant security agencies.

“The commissioner also warns against formulation and spread of false alarms capable of causing apprehension in the society. Anyone found wanting will face the wrath of the law,” Mr Abutu added.

(NAN)

More from Peoples Gazette

Prof. Yakub Mahmood

NationWide

INEC resumes voter registration June 28

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) says nationwide continuous voter registration will resume June 28.

Lagos

Lagos Explosion: Sanwo-Olu govt begins investigation

Sanwo-Olu has begun an investigation to ascertain the cause of Thursday’s gas explosion around Ogun State Property Investment Company (OPIC) Plaza in Ikeja.

Malnourished children. [CREDIT: The Cable]

Health

Malnourished Nigerian children suffering from multidimensional poverty: UNICEF

A new UNICEF report says a large number of malnourished Nigerian children are suffering from multidimensional poverty.

Senator Ali Ndume and Boko Haram

Maiduguri

Security worse in Abuja than Maiduguri: Ndume

“I feel safer than in Abuja. Because (in Abuja) somebody can knock down your door with a gun,” said Chairman of the Senate Committee on Army, Ali Ndume.

Maiduguri

I got over 90% votes in Borno, committed to restore peace: Buhari

President Muhammadu Buhari says he is committed to restoring peace to Borno, telling residents that he got over 90 per cent of votes in the state.

States

Killer herdsmen, UGM, Abia’s greatest challenge: Gov. Ikpeazu

Governor Okezie Ikpeazu says killer herdsmen and unknown gunmen are Abia’s greatest challenge.