Monday, August 17, 2026

Gunmen unleash terror in Katsina, Niger; commissioner, worshippers killed

Unknown gunmen killed a Katsina State commissioner in his home on Wednesday. Worshipers at a local mosque in Niger were also attacked Thursday morning.

and • December 9, 2021
Rabe Nasir and Bandits

Unknown gunmen on Wednesday killed Katsina State commissioner for science, technology and innovation Rabe Nasir in yet another episode of violence pervading the North.

The deceased was killed at his residence, the Tribune reports.

State police chief Sanusi Buba told journalists that Mr Nasir was murdered by his assailants after he returned from from Wednesday night.

The police commissioner revealed that the command had commenced investigation into the killing and a suspect has been arrested in connection with the incident.

Mr Baba said that the commissioner’s remains had been evacuated to the Federal Medical Centre Katsina.

Before his demise, Mr Nasir was Governor Aminu Masari’s special adviser on science and technology from 2015 to 2019 from where he was elevated to the position of a commissioner.

Prior to his role as a commissioner, the deceased represented  Mani/Bindawa Federal Constituency at the National Assembly from 2007 to 2011.

He also worked with the State Security Service officer, and the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in Abuja.

In another development, no fewer than nine worshippers at a local mosque in Niger were killed by bandits during early morning prayers. At least six persons were also injured.

The police in Niger said a primary school teacher was also abducted during the attack on the mosque at Tungan Ba’are village in Mashegu  Local Government Area of the state.

Police Commissioner Monday-Bala Kuryas said that those killed were aged between 65 and 30. The six injured persons were evacuated to Kontagora General hospital for treatment, he disclosed.

He gave their names as, Umaru Sahabi, Mohammed Maikasuwa, Isa Abu, Mohammed Danbarau, Mohammed Dandangi and Alhaji Dan Mairini.

“We can’t ascertain the number of victims kidnapped, as only one primary school teacher of Tungan Ba’are was revealed to be kidnapped by the armed gunmen during the incident.”

According to the commissioner, the incident might be a reprisal attack resulting from a long standing communal feud.

He said that additional armed security personnel had since been deployed to the area to track and arrest the gunmen and all other miscreants undermining peaceful coexistence among the residents.

Mr Kuryas urged the people to support security agencies with credible information on the activities of criminals around them.

On October 25, a similar attack on a mosque at Mazakuka village in Mashegu Local Government Area, left many people dead.

(NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Showbiz

Kamsy emerges third housemate evicted from BBNaija Season 11

Her departure came as a fresh reminder that popularity inside the house does not necessarily translate into enough public votes.

Sport

Cameroon beat Malawi 3-0 to win first WAFCON title

Cameroon thus became the fourth nation to win the WAFCON, joining record champions Nigeria, Equatorial Guinea and South Africa.

Alake at Nigeria Gold Day Celebration event

NationWide

Alake warns illegal operators against mining abandoned pits

The minister said the tragedy could have been averted if the illegal miners formed a cooperative and applied for the necessary permit.

States

Police arrest Kogi man for setting wife on fire

The state Commissioner of Police, Naziru Kankarofi, condemned the attack, describing it as “barbaric and unacceptable.”

Showbiz

Spider-Man: Brand New Day’ rakes $2 billion at global box office

Marvel and Sony’s “Spider-Man: Brand New Day” has grossed $2 billion at the global box office after only three weeks in theatres