Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Houses, vehicles submerged as flood pounds Ondo 

The downpour caused gridlocks.

• October 5, 2024
Flood
Flood

Scores of residents have been sacked from their various homes with houses and vehicles submerged following the flash flood that hit Ondo town in Ondo State. 

Many canals and bridges overflowed, causing several electric poles to fall, raising fears of possible electrocution among displaced residents. 

Peoples Gazette learned that the rain started on Friday while many residents and motorists were moving going about their activities.

However, no life was lost, but residents who returned to their homes met water everywhere in the compound.

The downpour caused traffic jams as some of the motorists were trapped on the road, struggling to move ahead. 

In a video footage obtained by our reporter, about 15 vehicles were trapped in the flood while in traffic as people rallied to prevent water from extending further by using concrete pillars as stoppage. 

A motorist, Oluwaseun Ogunmola, who was trapped in the flood, lamented during an interview. 

Mr Ogunmola described the flood as a ‘big disaster,’ noted that many motorists could not move ahead due to the heavy flooding. 

He said, “We are stuck in traffic because of the flood. As Ii speak with you, many of us are stuck and we can’t even move ahead. It is a big disaster. Many cars have been submerged, including stores and houses in Ondo town. Some of us have resulted in self-help to pave way for drivers.’’ 

The Commissioner for Environment, Oseni Oyeniyi, could not be immediately reached for comments.  

But one of his aides, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said that the ministry had been alerted to the flood incident. 

“We got informed about the incident a few hours ago. The ministry is doing everything within its capacity to ensure residents are safe,” he told The Gazette.

The flood in Ondo is coming barely a few weeks after the National Emergency Management Agency advised communities at risk of flooding, especially those residing along waterways, to relocate to safer higher ground in preparation for the rainy season.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Otti signing document

Economy

Abia tax reform targets efficiency, says commissioner

The Abia government says its tax reforms are designed to improve transparency, accountability and efficiency in revenue collection.

Naira Marley and Buba Marwa

States

NDLEA vows to crush drug cartels in Nigeria

The chairman of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, Buba Marwa, has vowed to sustain the agency’s crackdown on drug cartels.

Governor Ademola Adeleke

States

Zamfara Accord Party governorship candidate hails Adeleke

Zamfara Accord Party governorship flag bearer Musa Yusuf-Garba felicitated Governor Ademola Adeleke on his re-election in the August 15 Osun election.

Sani Takori, VinMartin Ilo and Steve Nwosu

States

NDC national leader Seriake Dickson appoints  media, political, technical advisers

NDC leader Seriake Dickson has appointed Sani Takori, VinMartin Ilo and Steve Nwosu as political adviser, chief technical adviser and spokesman, respectively.

Providus

Economy

Providus Bank boosts Asaba urban renewal with Kainebisi project

Providus Bank has begun beautifying and restructuring Kainebisi Roundabout in Asaba, giving fresh impetus to existing urban renewal initiatives.

Edward Zimbardi

Heading 4

Alleged mastermind of $165 million crypto Ponzi scheme arrested after deportation from Fiji

Between June 2022 and August 2023, the suspect allegedly created and promoted the platform.