I blocked Remi Tinubu from using my platform to cover up Christian ‘genocide’ in Nigeria: U.S. Broadcaster

American TV show host Tony Perkins has revealed that First Lady Remi Tinubu approached him to discuss religious freedom issues in Nigeria, but he rejected her request because he does not want his platform used to cover up for happenings in Nigeria.
Mr Perkins, who hosts Washington Watch, disclosed this during an edition with U.S. lawmaker Chris Smith on February 4, when religious freedom was discussed.
Mr Smith was speaking about President Bola Tinubu’s government denying the killing of Christians in Nigeria and yet hiring American lobbyists to downplay the issue when Mr Perkins revealed Mrs Tinubu approached him to be featured on his platform.
“The First Lady of Nigeria was here this week, and in fact, they wanted to come on the programme to talk about religious freedom, and I said, ‘I’m not gonna meet with them or have a meeting with anybody,'” Mr Perkins said.
The broadcast journalist added, “I’m not gonna give them a platform to cover up what they’re doing in Nigeria.”
The first lady did not immediately respond to Peoples Gazette’s request for comments.
Mrs Tinubu visited the U.S. and attended the National Prayer Breakfast on Thursday. Her presence was recognised at the event by President Donald Trump, a development that pro-Tinubu supporters celebrated as a major diplomatic win for the Nigerian government amid pressure from the U.S. government.
Mr Tinubu has been under pressure from the American government since Mr Trump declared Nigeria a Country of Particular Concern over the alleged killing of Christians in November.
The first lady’s visit came months after Mr Tinubu splashed millions of dollars on Republican lobbyists to burnish his tainted reputation in Washington following Mr Trump’s 2025 remarks denouncing Nigeria as “a disgrace” under his leadership.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
Terrorists storm Niger mosque during prayers, abduct worshippers
The police said security operatives had been deployed to the area for assessment and rescue operations.

Heading 2
2027: Ex-Zamfara governor Yari named APC campaign DG for Tinubu’s re-election
Muiz Banire will head the Legal Directorate, with Dr Liman Hassan and Babatunde Ogala as deputies.

Hot news Home top
Photo, details of Nwabueze Buchi George, coordinator of fresh fake agency ICPC uncovered in Tinubu’s govt
The Peoples Gazette’s check for Mr Nwabueze’s digital footprint showed he runs social media accounts and a website: Made in Nigeria.

States
Taraba govt unveils action plan to tackle climate change
Mr Kefas urged the federal government, the national council on climate change and other stakeholders to work with the state to implement the policy and action plan.

Africa
Edo Queens ready to contest WAFU B qualifying ticket in Ouagadougou, says coach
The WAFU-B qualifiers will determine the team that represents the zone at the 2026 CAF Women’s Champions League.

NationWide
Troops rescued 59 kidnap victims, killed several terrorists in one-week nationwide operations: DHQ
Mr Onoja said the troops of Operation Hadin Kai rescued eight kidnap victims during the week in the North-East.






