Tuesday, August 18, 2026

IG bans Amotekun, vigilantes from Ondo gov poll, promises helicopter, gunboat patrols  

The IG warned thugs and any individuals or groups who may want to cause violence or disruption before, during, or after the election.

• November 10, 2024
Inspector-General of Police, Olukayode Adeolu Egbetokun
Inspector-General of Police, Olukayode Adeolu Egbetokun (Credit: Olumuyiwa Adejobi)

The Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun,   has banned the state security network agency known as Amotekun Corps from participating in the governorship election in Ondo State. 

The Independent National Electoral Commission fixed Saturday, November 16 for the off-cycle governorship election with a total of 17 political parties participating in the exercise. 

In a statement on Sunday, Mr Egbetokun said the security of elections in the country was the sole responsibility of the police in partnership with other federal security sister agencies. 

In the statement signed by the Force spokesperson, Olumuyiwa Adejobi, the IG warned against political interference and violence in the upcoming election.  

He said, “Furthermore, the IGP reaffirmed the established guidelines governing election security management in Nigeria, stressing that no quasi-security organisation, including state-backed groups like Vigilante Corps or Amotekun, will be permitted to participate in the election process. The security of this election is a responsibility entrusted solely to the Nigeria Police Force and other federal security agencies, along with the broader membership of the Inter-Agency Consultative Committee on Election Security.’’ 

Mr Egbetokun also cautioned political thugs and any individuals or groups who may contemplate acts of violence or disruption before, during, or after the election. 

He explained that anyone caught would face the full force of the law, adding that the message was clear as those who attempted to jeopardise the peace and security of the state would not go unpunished.

The police chief also reiterated that comprehensive plans had been set in motion to guarantee a smooth election, including the strategic deployment of adequate personnel, resources, and state-of-the-art equipment. 

He explained that security agencies would be deployed to ensure adequate security and orderly election process across the 18 Local Government Areas, 203 wards, and 3,933 polling units in the state.

According to Mr Egbetokun, officers from various specialized units, including the Special Intervention Squad, Police Mobile Force, Counter-Terrorism Unit and Special Protection Unit will participate in the poll. 

He added that officers would also be deployed from the Explosive Ordinance Disposal Unit, K-9 Unit, Federal Investigation and Intelligence Response Team, and the Federal Intelligence and Security Task Force working with other security agencies. 

He added, “These agencies will adhere strictly to the guidelines of the Electoral Act, 2022, ensuring that measures taken align with the principles of fairness, transparency, and order. In addition to ground personnel, aerial patrols will be conducted with police helicopters, while gunboats will patrol the state’s waterways and riverine areas to ensure security across all terrains. These comprehensive measures will serve as a deterrent to any attempt to disrupt the electoral process and will enhance the overall stability of the elections.” 

The IG noted that the police in collaboration with other federal security agencies, remained committed, vigilant, and fully prepared to ensure that the Ondo governorship election went on smoothly, without incident, and in accordance with the highest standards of electoral integrity.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida

Politics

Former military dictator IBB ‘father of Abia state’, says Otti

Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida on his 85th birthday, describing him as the ‘Father of Abia state’.

President Donald Trump

Economy

Iran War: Trump threatens to bomb Oman over Strait of Hormuz

President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman in the Middle East if it “gets in the way” of its deal between the United States and Iran over the Strait of Hormuz.

Thousands at jason ardy vigil

World

Thousands keep vigil to mourn Jason Arday

Thousands of people gathered on Monday at a vigil in Trafalgar Square for Jason Arday, a 41-year-old Cambridge University professor who died amid allegations of plagiarism.

Ebola clinic in DRC

Africa

Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history

WHO says Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is now the deadliest the country has ever faced.

Otti signing document

Economy

Abia tax reform targets efficiency, says commissioner

The Abia government says its tax reforms are designed to improve transparency, accountability and efficiency in revenue collection.

Naira Marley and Buba Marwa

States

NDLEA vows to crush drug cartels in Nigeria

The chairman of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, Buba Marwa, has vowed to sustain the agency’s crackdown on drug cartels.