In new story, Tinubu claims he made his wealth from inheritance

Bola Tinubu has claimed real estate inheritance as the source of his stupendous wealth in the latest version of his ever-changing narratives regarding how he came about the billions of dollars he is believed to be sitting on.
The All Progressives Congress presidential candidate for 2023 said he inherited a substantial real estate that grew even bigger following shrewd investing decisions, a claim that contradicted his previous interviews in which he cited bonuses from earnings as a mid-level official at Deloitte.
Mr Tinubu has also previously claimed he became wealthy following his retirement outlays as a senior treasurer with oil giant Mobil in the late 1980s.
But in an interview with the BBC that went live online Tuesday, the former Lagos governor said someone left him a vast real estate upon which he built an investment portfolio. He did not say who left the money. Mr Tinubu’s father was never known, and his foster mother, Abibatu Mogaji, only passed on in July 2013 at a modest house gifted to her by Mr Tinubu after he became governor in 1999.
Mr Tinubu, 70, slammed his critics as enemies of wealth for wondering how he was about to build a multibillion-dollar empire despite lacking any background as an industrialist or business executive.
“Are they enemies of wealth? If they are not enemies of wealth, investments do yield,” Mr Tinubu said.
The controversial presidential candidate has faced corruption allegations from Nigerians, and anti-graft agencies have been reluctant to look into his finances for fear of political backlash from a man close to incumbent President Muhammadu Buhari.
In 2020, Peoples Gazette published a series of financial documents that showed how Mr Tinubu was stealing to enrich himself via questionable tax administration in Lagos.
The newspaper also uncovered how Mr Tinubu, through tax consultants Alpha Beta, siphoned billions to shell companies and his known businesses like TVC and Lagos rapid transit schemes.
Mr Tinubu’s previous ties to drug trafficking businesses from the 1990s recently made headlines across Nigeria. The politician has continued to deny all wrongdoing, including charges of drugs and looting of Lagos’ treasury.
Next February, Mr Tinubu will square up against former vice president Atiku Abubakar of the Peoples Democratic Party, Labour Party’s presidential flagbearer Peter Obi, African Action Congress’s Omoyele Sowore and Rabiu Kwankwaso of the NNPP for Africa’s most populous country’s top job.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Africa
Former world boxing champion Zolani Tete shot dead outside his home in South Africa
The motive behind the killing of the boxer is yet to be ascertained, according to the police.

Sport
List of Premier League stars expected to shine in 2026/2027 season
Last season, Gonzalo GarcÃa scored 12 goals and provided four assists in all competitions.

World
Passenger’s laptop catches fire on American Airlines flight
The plane, which took off from Atlanta, had 133 individuals on board.

Heading 1
FG approves two new satellites to boost connectivity
Mrs Nkechi Egerton-Idehen said the approval marked an important milestone for the company and Nigeria.

Abuja
2027: NDC South-East targets one million votes for Obi/Kwankwaso in FCT
Mr Nwosu said the group would commence intensive mobilisation ahead of the campaigns.

Lagos
Five suspected vandals nab, stolen iron rods recovered in Lagos
Ms Adebisi added that discreet investigation is ongoing to apprehend other fleeing suspects.






