INEC makes voter registration easy for Lagos residents

The INEC has announced the devolution of the continuous voter registration (CVR) from local government areas (LGAs) to designated registration areas (RAs), popularly known as electoral wards, across Lagos State.
The Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) in Lagos State, Ayobami Salami, made this known on Tuesday during a media conference on the second phase of the CVR exercise, held at the commission’s state office in Yaba.
Mr Salami explained that the rotation of INEC voter enrolment devices (IVEDs) among the RAs would begin on February 2 and last for 50 days, ending on April 10.
He added that the final week of the second phase, from April 11 to April 17, would take place at the LGA offices across the state.
Mr Salami said the strategic decision was aimed at bringing voter registration closer to the grassroots, reducing congestion at centres and ensuring that no eligible citizen was excluded from the democratic process.
“The commission has resolved to devolve registration operations from the Local Government level to Registration Areas across the state.
“This shift is designed to enhance inclusivity, efficiency and transparency while deepening public trust in the electoral process,” Mr Salami said.
The REC noted that designated registration centres, including INEC offices and other approved locations, had been established across the Registration Areas.
He said that details of venues, dates and operational hours would be communicated through the commission’s official channels.
He reiterated that the exercise was free of charge and open to all Nigerian citizens aged 18 years and above.
According to him, the second phase of the CVR, from January 5 to April 17, is building on the successes recorded during the first phase of the exercise.
He noted that Lagos State recorded a total of 139,251 registrations in the first phase, comprising 126,668 new registrants and 12,283 transfers.
According to him, a breakdown of the figures shows that women accounted for 54 per cent of new registrants, while men made up 46 per cent.
On age distribution, the REC said youths aged18 and 39 represented 65 per cent of those newly registered.
Mr Salami called on political parties, civil society organisations, community and religious leaders, including the media, to support the commission by mobilising eligible citizens, particularly youths, women and persons with disabilities, to participate in the exercise.
He emphasised the critical role of the media in public education, countering misinformation and promoting peaceful and orderly participation.
The REC assured that INEC Lagos State was fully prepared to conduct a smooth and credible registration, describing the second phase of the CVR as a key step toward strengthening democracy ahead of the 2027 general elections.
At the stakeholders meeting held immediately after the news conference, party leaders and civil society organisations took turns to call for deployment of more IVEDs and further decentralisation for more access and inclusivity, especially for people living with disabilities.
Stakeholders also called for more information decentralisation and CVR extension to weekends, among other issues.
Responding, Mr Salami said INEC, as a responsive organisation, would step in with necessary interventions and mechanisms to get everyone registered.
He assured the stakeholders of INEC’s readiness to address concerns about the CVR, voter education and inclusiveness.
Also, the INEC Administrative Secretary, Oluyemisi Adeyemi-Sowunmi, said that the commission had been doing a lot in information decentralisation and would come to a decision on calls for CVR extension to weekends.
Speaking on the rotational timetable for the IVED machines across the LGAs, the INEC ICT Head of Department, Muyiwa Yusuf, said the commission had provided a QR code to view designated machine rotation centres in the state.
Mr Yusuf said that more machines had been provided in each LGA to be moved round each of the RAs, urging prospective qualified residents to take advantage of it in each council within the window of 50 days.
Speaking, the Chairman of the Inter-Party Advisory Council (IPAC) in Lagos, Temilola Akinade, said the council had been doing a lot to mobilise residents for the CVR.
Ms Akinade urged INEC to create a more conducive environment for eligible residents to register in the process.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

NationWide
Atiku pleads with FBI not to shield Tinubu, says president danger to Nigerians not Americans
“Our message is simple: Protect your investigators. Protect your sources. Protect your methods. But do not protect the truth from Nigerians,” Mr Atiku said.

NationWide
Nigerians react, allege Tinubu appointed Adedeji to divert taxes for 2027 campaign
Mr Adedeji was appointed deputy director of fundraising for Mr Tinubu’s 2027 presidential reelection campaign on Saturday.

States
Police dislodge bandits’ hideout, rescue three kidnap victims in Kaduna
Mr Hassan said the rescued victims have been reunited with their families, while efforts are ongoing to apprehend the fleeing suspects.

World
Chinese humanoid robot ‘Lightning’ beats Usain Bolt’s 100m world record
The robot’s time also edged Bolt’s world record of 9.58 seconds in the men’s 100m, which the Jamaican set at the 2009 World Athletics Championships in Berlin.

Politics
My goal is to deliver Rivers, FCT for Tinubu in 2027; not interested in APC campaign DG position: Wike
Mr Wike said that he has no interest in being a member of Mr Tinubu’s presidential campaign council.

Africa
Former world boxing champion Zolani Tete shot dead outside his home in South Africa
The motive behind the killing of the boxer is yet to be ascertained, according to the police.






