IOC wants Russia, Belarus banned from all sports competitions
The International Olympic Committee has called on governing bodies of all sports to ban Russian and Belarusian athletes and officials from participating in any organised international competitions.
The executive board of the Olympic committee came up with this decision after its meeting on Monday, according to a statement on the committee website.
“In order to protect the integrity of global sports competitions and for the safety of all the participants, the IOC EB recommends that International Sports Federations and sports event organisers not invite or allow the participation of Russian and Belarusian athletes and officials in international competitions,” the statement reads in part.
The IOC also recommended that no international sport event is organised in Russia, while withdrawing “the Olympic Order from all persons who currently have an important function in the government of the Russian Federation or other government-related high-ranking position including the following:
“Mr Vladimir Putin, President of the Russian Federation (Gold, 2001), Mr Dmitry Chernyshenko, Deputy Prime Minister of the Russian Federation (Gold, 2014), and Mr Dmitry Kozak, Deputy Chief of Staff of the Presidential Executive Office (Gold, 2014).”
This comes as another sanction was slammed at Russia for its invasion of Ukraine since last week Thursday.
On Friday, the UEFA executive committee moved the venue of the final of the 2022 Champions League from St Petersburg to Paris, and Manchester United cancelled its sponsorship deal with Russian airline Aeroflot.
Also, UK lawmakers proposed ban on Russian billionaire owner of Chelsea FC, forced Roman Abramovich to surrender control of the football club.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette
The motion on notice filed by an applicant Emmanuel Agonsi was scheduled for a hearing on Monday by the Chief Judge of the Federal High Court, John Tsoho.
MC Lively in a chat with Chude Jideonwo said that he was offered N5,000 at a law firm as a National Youth Corps member, describing it as “upsetting.”
Ms Adeh said the suspects would be arraigned in court upon completion of investigations.
Mr Ani urged eligible applicants, who were unable to apply earlier, to take advantage of the extension.
Ms Ahmad-Tukur warned those involved in such acts to desist from it as the state government would prosecute anyone involved in vandalising public facilities.
The HYPPADEC chief described what he called the refusal of the people of the community to move out of the danger zones as worrisome.