Iran begins military withdrawal from Syria

Iran has started pulling its military personnel and commanders out of Syria, signalling a notable change in its enduring support for President Bashar al-Assad.
The New York Times noted that the withdrawal, which started on Friday, comes as Assad faces mounting pressure from a resurgent rebel offensive that has dramatically altered the dynamics of Syria’s 13-year civil war.
Among those evacuated were top commanders of Iran’s Quds Force, the elite external arm of the Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC).
Military personnel, diplomatic staff, and their families were also reportedly leaving Syria, heading to Iraq, Lebanon, or back to Iran via planes and land routes, officials said on condition of anonymity.
The decision to withdraw signals a major blow to Mr. al-Assad’s regime and Iran’s influence in the region.
For years, Iran has been a critical ally to the Syrian government, providing military advisers, funding, and militias to help Assad regain territory during the civil war.
Now, with rebel forces capturing significant regions, including Aleppo and Hama, and advancing toward Damascus, Iran appears to be reassessing its involvement.
“Iran cannot manage the situation in Syria right now with any military operation,” said Mehdi Rahmati, an Iranian analyst close to government officials. “This option is off the table.”
Iran’s military presence in Syria has long been strategic, serving as a route to supply arms to Hezbollah in Lebanon.
However, the current rebel offensive, spearheaded by the Islamist group Hayat Tahrir al-Sham, threatens to sever this link.
The Iranian-backed Afghan Fatemiyoun Brigade, previously stationed at military bases in Syria, has reportedly been relocated to regime strongholds such as Damascus and Latakia.
Iranian officials, including parliamentarian Ahmad Naderi, have expressed frustration over the situation, warning that the fall of Damascus would diminish Iran’s influence in Iraq and Lebanon.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 2
NDLEA intercepts 184.50 kilograms of cocaine, nabs cartel leader Afolabi Michael ‘KC Luxury’
The NDLEA said KC Luxury parades “as a social media influencer and businessman dealing in gold, jewellery, and luxury goods.”

Heading 5
Police apprehend two suspected members of Ogun ‘one chance’ syndicate
Mr Babaseyi stated, “Efforts are currently being intensified by operatives to track down and apprehend other fleeing members of the syndicate.”

Lagos
APC chieftain seeks centralisation of party campaign structure
Mr Sewedo said that there were too many independent campaign groups under the APC.

Africa
Outages: Libya replaces state-owned electricity firm board of directors
The development comes as Libya faces repeated partial and total power grid collapses.

Lagos
NDLEA intercepts 184.5kg cocaine from Lagos courier firm, nabs two suspects
Mr Marwa said the seizure further exposed Nigeria’s use as a transit hub for illicit drugs destined for foreign countries.

States
54-year-old Ibadan man arraigned for allegedly stealing five goats worth N300,000
The defendant pleaded not guilty to the charges.






