Saturday, August 22, 2026

Ireland-based Nigerian man escapes sentencing after pleading guilty to possession of child sexual abuse material

‎Mr Odibei was identified after a phone number was linked to a Gmail account in his name.

• February 20, 2026
Austin Odibei
Austin Odibei [credit: Gript on X]

A Nigerian man based in Ireland, Austin Odibei, has been spared a jail term after pleading guilty to possession of the most extreme category of child sexual abuse material.

‎Mr Odibei was identified after a phone number was linked to a Gmail account in his name.

‎This followed an investigation by the National Police and Security Service of Ireland, An Garda Siochana, after Google Corp. alerted them in March 2019 when images of child sex abuse were uploaded to the Cloud.

‎Mr Odibei, a resident of Milford Manor Avenue, Clondalkin, Dublin 22, Ireland, was traced to his home, where he lives with his wife and two children.

According to Gript Media, officers investigating the case seized several devices, including a digital camera found “hidden” in a hot press and a mobile phone belonging to the accused.

Eleven videos and two images of child sexual abuse materials were uncovered during the examination of the devices by investigators.

‎The Circuit Criminal Court heard that the camera contained five Category 1 (the most extreme) child sexual abuse materials, which depicted children engaged in or witnessing “explicit sexual activity.”

‎It also contained eight category 2 images, which depicted children with their anal or genital region exposed.

Two category 1 video files, each lasting four and two minutes, were also discovered on Mr Odibei’s phone.

Meanwhile, Kieran Kelly BL, the defendant’s counsel, said that files discovered on the 49-year-old’s phone were sent by a third party, although An Garda Siochana argued that the files had been uploaded to the Google cloud from his personal device.

‎Mr Odibei is also reported to have been a former employee in the hospitality sector for a long time but now works in kitchens to avoid contact with the public.

Presiding over the case was Judge Crowe, who noted that Mr Odibei’s plea for mercy was “very, very late.”

‎”The harm and evils of child pornography are the subject of utter revulsion in all societies all over the world,” she said.

‎Ms Crowe further added that the contents of a letter of apology submitted by Mr Odibei to the court did not seem to take account of the harm done to the children depicted in the sexual abuse material.

She described it as a “curious thing,” saying it was entirely misdirected, as it failed to acknowledge the harm caused to the children depicted.

The court also rejected an offer of €1,000 in reparation, describing it as “not in any way appropriate to the matter.”

However, despite Mr Odibei’s guilty plea, a sentence of two years’ imprisonment was set but reduced to 18 months before being squashed on condition of good behaviour for a “deliberately long” period of three years.

‎The court also granted an order for the phone and digital camera to be destroyed by the state.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Governor Agbu Kefas, Aisha Barde and others

States

Taraba govt unveils action plan to tackle climate change

Mr Kefas urged the federal government, the national council on climate change and other stakeholders to work with the state to implement the policy and action plan.

Edo Queens (Credit: Nigerian Guardian)

Africa

Edo Queens ready to contest WAFU B qualifying ticket in Ouagadougou, says coach

The WAFU-B qualifiers will determine the team that represents the zone at the 2026 CAF Women’s Champions League.

NationWide

Troops rescued 59 kidnap victims, killed several terrorists in one-week nationwide operations: DHQ

Mr Onoja said the troops of Operation Hadin Kai rescued eight kidnap victims during the week in the North-East.

Uber Taxi

Hot news Home top

Uber fined $966 million for deactivating drivers’ accounts over alleged fraudulent practices

Uber said it disagreed with the regulator’s decision and said it would file an appeal.

NationWide

Defence minister, gender advocates, others seek women inclusion in governance

The minister stressed the need for women to contribute their quota to tackle complex security challenges within the country.

The colleagues at the session.

Heading 1

Ogogo: Colleagues hold prayer session for ailing Nollywood actor

He prayed God Almighty to give Mr Hassan’s family, friends, and colleagues the strength to stand by the actor.