Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Israel declares nationwide emergency after attack on Lebanon  

Three deaths were confirmed in Lebanon but none in Israel.

• September 23, 2024
Israeli defense minister Yoav Gallant (Credit: New York Times)
Israeli defense minister Yoav Gallant (Credit: New York Times)

Israel’s defence minister, Yoav Gallant, announced a 48-hour nationwide state of emergency after the military launched massive airstrikes on Lebanon.  

The military struck Lebanon with over 100 jets to thwart a bigger attack, while Hezbollah also launched hundreds of rockets and drones at Israel early on Sunday.

“The declaration on the state of emergency enables the IDF (Israeli military) to issue instructions to the citizens of Israel, including limiting gatherings and closing sites where it may be relevant,” Mr Gallant said in a statement on Monday. “I hereby declare a special situation on the home front in other areas of the country. The situation is valid for 48 hours starting at 6:00 a.m.”

The missiles fired by Hezbollah were visible, curling up through the dawn sky, dark vapour trails behind them, as an air raid siren sounded in Israel.

However, three deaths were confirmed in Lebanon but none in Israel.

Israel’s military further maintained that it had foiled a much larger attack with pre-emptive airstrikes after assessing that Hezbollah was preparing to launch the barrage, using 100 jets to strike more than 40 Hezbollah launch sites in southern Lebanon.

The strikes destroyed thousands of launcher barrels, aimed mostly at northern Israel but also targeting some central areas.

Hezbollah dismissed Israel’s statement that the group’s attack had been foiled with pre-emptive strikes, saying it had been able to launch its drones as planned and that the rest of its response to Shukr’s killing would take “some time”.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

flooding in Abuja.

Heading 1

Wike orders demolition of houses blocking drainage channels after flood overruns Abuja

Mr Wike stated, “We will demolish all those houses found on the water channels. Some of them are (owned by) senators. Some of them are (owned by) big men.

NDLEA officers

Heading 2

NDLEA intercepts 184.50 kilograms of cocaine, nabs cartel leader Afolabi Michael ‘KC Luxury’

The NDLEA said KC Luxury parades “as a social media influencer and businessman dealing in gold, jewellery, and luxury goods.”

Armed policemen in Benue State.

Heading 5

Police apprehend two suspected members of Ogun ‘one chance’ syndicate

Mr Babaseyi stated, “Efforts are currently being intensified by operatives to track down and apprehend other fleeing members of the syndicate.”

APC Flag

Lagos

APC chieftain seeks centralisation of party campaign structure

Mr Sewedo said that there were too many independent campaign groups under the APC.

Libya map used to illustrate the story.

Africa

Outages: Libya replaces state-owned electricity firm board of directors

The development comes as Libya faces repeated partial and total power grid collapses.

National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA)

Lagos

NDLEA intercepts 184.5kg cocaine from Lagos courier firm, nabs two suspects

Mr Marwa said the seizure further exposed Nigeria’s use as a transit hub for illicit drugs destined for foreign countries.