Thursday, December 8, 2022

Israel intensifies attacks on Gaza, death toll rises

The U.S. had earlier opposed a Security Council meeting due to be held Friday, saying it did not believe it would support de-escalatory efforts currently underway.

• May 14, 2021

Israel intensified its attacks on Gaza late Thursday, as the country’s military said its troops were on the ground.

According to an army spokesman, seven people have been killed by shelling in Israel so far. In Gaza, more than 100 people have died, according to the health ministry there.

“I said Hamas will pay a very high price. The last word has not yet been spoken, and this operation will go on as long as possible,” Israeli Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, said of the attacks in a video message early Friday.

Benjamin Netanyahu
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu [Photo credit: Anadolu Agency]

A Hamas military spokesman said an Israeli ground offensive would be an opportunity to bring more dead soldiers and prisoners of the enemy into our possession.

The Israeli army had earlier tweeted that “air and ground troops are currently attacking the Gaza Strip,” but a military spokeswoman could not elaborate on the statement.

The Times of Israel reported that some troops were positioned in an area that is technically part of Gaza’s territory but was effectively under Israeli control, and therefore cannot yet be deemed a ground offensive.

Defence Minister, Benny Gantz, had earlier approved the mobilisation of an additional 9,000 reservists, two days after the army mobilised 5,000 reservists.

Israeli television reported massive attacks by air, artillery, and tank forces and said it was the heaviest and broadest attack on the Gaza Strip since the escalation began on Monday.

The army urged Israelis living in border towns up to four kilometres from Gaza to seek shelter until further notice.

People in Tel Aviv fled to shelters during the day, after warning sirens sounded for the first time they had been heard in the city during daylight hours.

Palestinian militants had now fired more than 1,750 rockets from Gaza at Israel since the latest flare-up of fighting, Israel’s military said.

Israel had attacked almost 1,000 targets in Gaza with massive airstrikes, destroying three multi-storey buildings, Mr Netanyahu said.

The Israeli military said fighter jets struck a Hamas intelligence compound in Gaza.

The site was used as Hamas’ main military observation centre, according to Israel. Dozens of Hamas members were present at the time of the attack, the military said, without stating whether anyone was killed.

Late on Thursday, three rockets were launched towards northern Israel from southern Lebanon, a Lebanese security source said.

A Lebanese army source who requested anonymity said they suspected Palestinian groups were behind the rocket launches.

Shortly afterwards, Israeli fighter jets reportedly flew over southern Lebanon near the joint national border.

“Israeli activity in the air” had been observed in the area, dpa learnt from Lebanese army circles.

The UN Interim Forces in Southern Lebanon (UNIFIL) responded with a call for maximum restraint between Israel and Lebanon.

The statement said peacekeepers were already on the ground and working in cooperation with the Lebanese army.

Israel blames Hamas, the de facto Islamist rulers of the Gaza Strip, for any attacks from Gaza. The group was classified as a terrorist organisation by Israel and the EU.

Hamas leader, Ismail Haniya

According to the Israeli Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories (COGAT), Hamas rockets accidentally hit a power line in the Gaza Strip, leaving about 230,000 people without electricity.

COGAT said a desalination plant was also affected, leaving 250,000 people without water, but did not give further details.

The airstrikes and rocket attacks followed violent clashes in recent days at the Jerusalem holy site known as the Temple Mount to Jews and the Noble Sanctuary to Muslims.

The violence has continued to spill over into the streets. According to broadcasters, in Acre in northern Israel, a Jewish resident suffered life-threatening injuries after being attacked by Arab protesters.

In southern Bat Yam, a Jewish mob beat an Arab resident with sticks, local media reported, and Arab shops were attacked.

Israeli President, Reuven Rivlin, condemned the street violence, saying it was “a real threat for Israeli sovereignty.”

The international community called for a halt to the fighting.

An Egyptian security delegation is in Tel Aviv as part of mediation efforts launched by Cairo, a security source said.

The delegation wants to reach a bilateral ceasefire agreement, the source added, and would also discuss halting the eviction of Palestinian homes by Israel in Jerusalem.

Russia also wanted to mediate, a Kremlin spokesperson said on Thursday. Israelis and Palestinians must realise that there was no alternative to a diplomatic solution, spokesperson, Dmitry Peskov, said, according to TASS news agency.

Russian President, Vladimir Putin
Russian President, Vladimir Putin [Photo Credit: Tirana Today]

Russian President Vladimir Putin also called for an end to the violence during talks with UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres.

Meanwhile, French President, Emmanuel Macron, spoke with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and condemned the rocket attacks, the Elysee Palace said on Thursday.

Abbas Mahmoud
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas

Mr Macron also wanted to speak with Mr Netanyahu and other partners in the region, including with Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah al-Sissi.

The UN Security Council would meet again on Sunday to discuss the situation, U.S., UN envoy, Linda Thomas-Greenfield, tweeted.

The U.S. had earlier opposed a Security Council meeting due to be held Friday, saying it did not believe it would support de-escalatory efforts currently underway. 

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

New York Times

Rights

New York Times editors, reporters go on strike

The newsroom at The Times employs more than 1,800 people. Compensation is the negotiation’s most contentious topic.

Yobe State House of Assembly

States

Yobe parliament suspends revenue board chairman nominee’s screening

The Yobe House of Assembly has suspended the screening of Sani Kaitafi as Chairman of the state Internal Revenue Board.

Sadiya Umar Farouq and N-Power

Anti-Corruption

N-Power: Sadiya Farouq promises to support ICPC’s fraud investigation

Humanitarian minister Sadiya Umar Farouq has pledged to support the ICPC in its investigation of alleged fraud in the N-Power Programme.

Polaris Bank and Intercontinental Hotel, Lagos

Economy

Appeal Court reverses Polaris Bank’s sale of Intercontinental Hotel

In a unanimous judgment, three judges of the court ruled that Milan Industries had fully reimbursed the bank for the N2 billion mortgage facility it obtained from Polaris Bank.

A composite of President Muhammadu Buhari, Vice President Yemi Osinbajo and Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Management, Sadiya Umar Farouq used to illustrate the story

Economy

EXCLUSIVE: Buhari humiliates Osinbajo; discards vice president’s social safety bill on Sadiya Farouq’s objection

Documents reviewed by Peoples Gazette revealed how the humanitarian affairs minister thwarted the vice president’s years-long labour on a vital policy.

Governor Bello Matawalle

Hot news Home top

2023: Zamfara says anti-thuggery committee to fight political hoodlums

The Zamfara Anti-thuggery Committee says the legislature established it to fight political thuggery, drug abuse and violent crimes among youths.