It’s painful to accept Wike’s conditions for peace in Rivers, but I have no choice anymore: Simi Fubara

Suspended Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, has expressed sadness about having to accept the conditions the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, proposed to him to ensure his return as governor and for peace to reign.
According to a statement on Saturday, Mr Fubara disclosed this at a meeting with simplified stakeholders, without disclosing the conditions given during a meeting with his predecessor and President Bola Tinubu, on Thursday.
Mr Fubara said, “We have fought. I think, in my own assessment and in the assessment of anyone here who is genuine in this struggle, you will know that we have done what we need to do. At this point, if you want to be truthful to yourself, the only solution is peace. I did say that there’s no price that is too big for peace — I meant it, and I’m still ready to follow it to the end.”
Acknowledging Mr Wike’s role in his emergence as governor in 2023, Mr Fubara stated that though he and Mr Wike are hurt by all that transpired during the crisis, he stressed that there is need for all parties to settle their differences for peace to reign.
He said, “Yes, we might have our differences, but nobody here will say he doesn’t know the role he played. Nobody can wish away the risk he took. Yes, at a point we had our differences and if today there’s need for us to settle, please, anyone who genuinely believes in me should understand that it’s the right thing to do.
“So, my dear fathers, brothers and sisters, no matter the level of peace that a mediator will arrange, the true peace is the one where both of you are sitting down together to say, “Yes, this is what we want. At this point, I’ve met him, and we have spoken. You can’t take away the fact that he’s hurt — he’s a human being. I also have my own share of pains too.”
Stating that as a family, their interest and that of the state was to support the president, he decried the projects that had been abandoned since his suspension, noting that, “progress we would have recorded and the areas that would have been developed. So, there’s need for this peace — that’s the truth.”
Mr Fubara who vowed not to abandon them, urged them to brace up because the sacrifice to be made to achieve total peace would be heavy, adding that without reconciliation which both had reached, there was no way progress could be made in the state.
He added, “There’s no way the President can come in to save the situation. So, I want to appeal to everyone — I have accepted that we must accept this peace, no matter how it looks, no matter how you feel, we must accept it. Every one of us should understand that at this time, we’ve done our best, and what we need now is this peace so that we can grow. I know it’s difficult and heavy, but that’s the true situation.”
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Economy
Dangote Refinery’s free fuel delivery expands to Kano, Imo, 10 more states
The free delivery initiative adds another dimension to the refinery’s impact on the downstream sector.

States
Police uncover warehouse for adulterated beverages in Delta, hunt operators
Mr Edafe said that the suspected operators of the warehouse fled on sighting the police.

Anti-Corruption
Ex-governors Nyame, Dariye jailed for looting multibillion-naira state funds named members of Tinubu’s 2027 campaign team
The duo will serve in the council as contact mobilisation for Mr Tinubu’s re-election campaign.

States
VIDEO: Businesswoman says robbers pretending as customers emptied her synthetic hair store in Edo
The victim wrote, “This is the face of one of the armed robbers who just robbed my office at 27, Tony Anene Road, off Ebenezer School, Ihama, G.R.A., Benin City.”

Diaspora
Nigeria ranks sixth among top 10 countries of asylum seekers in Netherlands in 2025
The data indicated that 986 Nigerians applied for asylum in 2025.

NationWide
Veteran Nollywood actor Taiwo Hassan Ogogo is dead
One of his daughters announced the news in an Instagram post on Sunday.






