Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Jack Teixeira who leaked U.S. national security secrets jailed 15 years

As he left the courtroom, Mr Teixeira nodded to his family and said, “See you later.”

• November 13, 2024
Jack Teixeira
Jack Teixeira

Jack Teixeira, a 22-year-old member of the Massachusetts Air National Guard, was sentenced to 15 years in prison on November 12 for one of the most consequential national security breaches in recent history.

The Federal District Court in Massachusetts heard how Mr Teixeira, an information technology specialist at a Cape Cod air base, shared sensitive government documents on Discord, an online platform popular with gamers.

The leaked materials, which included intelligence on military operations and international relations, caused widespread concern.

Among the details Mr Teixeira disclosed were plans for supplying equipment to Ukraine and sensitive information on troop movements during the ongoing conflict with Russia.

U.S. officials warned that the leaks jeopardised intelligence-gathering methods and put American and allied operations at risk.

Mr Teixeira’s actions were discovered after a friend informed him that some documents were circulating on a pro-Russian Telegram channel.

The young airman attempted to have the material removed, but by then, the damage had been done.

During sentencing, Judge Indira Talwani of the Federal District Court in Massachusetts addressed Mr Teixeira directly, stressing the seriousness of his crimes.

“You are young, and you have a future ahead of you, but this is such a serious offence,” she stated.

Prosecutor Jared Dolan argued for a prison term of nearly 17 years, describing the scope of the leak as “historic” and “unparalleled.”

In contrast, Mr Teixeira’s lawyer, Michael Bachrach, requested a sentence closer to 11 years, citing his client’s youth and autism, which he suggested contributed to the poor judgment that led to the breach.

In a tearful statement, Teixeira apologized for the wide-ranging leak. “I’m sorry for all the harm that I’ve wrought and that I’ve caused,” he said. “I understand all the responsibility and consequences fall on my shoulders alone. And I accept whatever that may bring.”

As he left the courtroom, Mr Teixeira nodded to his family and said, “See you later.”

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

victims rescued in Katsina

States

14 kidnap victims rescued in Katsina

Troops rescued six males and eight females abducted in Katsina State.

Nnaji Chidiebere

States

Police arrest suspected transformer vandal in Enugu

Police said the suspect was found unconscious with various degrees of injuries.

U.S. Department of Justice

World

U.S. govt indicts 17 Iranians over cyber theft

Prosecutors said the suspects allegedly stole more than 31 terabytes of data from institutions across the U.S.

Governor Hyacinth Alia

States

Gov Alia nominates six new commissioners, seeks Benue assembly’s approval

The governor said the nominations were intended to strengthen the state executive council by filling existing vacancies and replacing outgoing members.

Riley Moore and Bola Tinubu

Heading 1

Nigeria should remain designated ‘country of particular concern’, Tinubu allowing slaughtering of Christians: U.S. Lawmaker

“Do not remove the CPC designation for Nigeria. They have not done near enough to protect Christians! They continue to get slaughtered,” Mr Moore said.

President Bola Tinubu

NationWide

Tinubu pledges peaceful campaign ahead of 2027 elections

“Let us remember that elections are not a do-or-die affair. We are partners in the project of nation-building,” he said.