Joe Biden, Donald Trump agree to debate twice before presidential election

President Joe Biden and his predecessor, Donald Trump, have decided to face off in two debates leading up to the 2024 U.S. presidential election. The first debate will be hosted by CNN on June 27 in Atlanta, Georgia and the second by ABC News on September 10.
Mr Biden, on Wednesday, announced his willingness to slug it out against his strongest opponent Mr Trump as part of efforts to win over voters and portray the latter as a man unfit to lead the nation. Surprisingly, Mr Trump — who had previously declined debates organised by his Republican party — did not shy from the challenge.
The former president believes it to be his best chance to expose Mr Biden shortcomings and sway voters to his party.
The debate, however, comes with conditions, which include the sparring taking place in a TV studio without any audience and with microphones that go off automatically after the time allotted to a speaker elapses.
Mr Biden’s team believes Mr Trump might leverage the cheers and jeers of the audience to throw unnecessary jabs at their principal and might also exceed the given time for each question.
The president’s team turned down debates organised by Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD) opting for news stations where Mr Biden and his opponent can freely choose dates (before the election) that favour them.
The debate may preclude independent candidate Robert Kennedy Jr, who bemoaned the agreement, claiming the duo were “trying to exclude me from their debate because they are afraid I would win.”
“Let’s pick the date, Donald. I hear you’re free on Wednesdays,” Mr Biden said, throwing a jab at Mr Trump, who had a court hearing every other day of the week except Wednesday.
Mr Trump did not hold back in his retort as he implied Mr Biden was a coward who was “afraid of crowds.”
“I would strongly recommend more than two debates and, for excitement purposes, a very large venue, although Biden is supposedly afraid of crowds – That’s only because he doesn’t get them,” Mr Trump said in response to Mr Biden’s taunt.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Africa
Central African Republic closes gold mine after collapse kills 49
Mines Minister Rufin Beltoungou said 35 Central Africans, 12 Cameroonians and two Chadians died in the gold mine collapse.

NationWide
Shettima seeks holistic approach to tackle humanitarian crises
Mr Shettima called for a holistic approach to tackle humanitarian crises and ensure durable solutions.

Politics
ISIS would have taken over Nigeria if not for Tinubu, presidency spokesman says
“Were it not for the various interventions of Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Nigeria would have become a sorry state security-wise,” the presidential aide said.

Health
Yobe: Authorities issue alert as conjunctivitis reaches epidemic level in Potiskum
Conjunctivitis has reached epidemic proportions in Potiskum and surrounding communities, prompting health authorities to alert residents.

Politics
Delta: INEC fixes September 19 for Udu constituency by-election
The Independent National Electoral Commission has fixed September 19 for the by-election into the Udu Constituency of the Delta House of Assembly.

Economy
Nigeria implementing policies to reduce methane emissions from waste: FG
The federal government is implementing policies to reduce methane emissions from dumpsites and promote sustainable waste management practices across the country.






