Judge declares mistrial in Harvey Weinstein’s rape charge

New York Supreme Court Judge Curtis Farber on Thursday declared a mistrial in the rape charge against convicted Hollywood producer, Harvey Weinstein, after jurors bickered and failed to reach a consensus.
The foreman, head of the jury in Mr Weinstein’s case, said he could no longer participate in deliberations which he said were mostly marred with yellings and unproductive arguments.
The foreman told the judge other jurors had bullied and threatened to fight him to get him to change his vote. Although he refrained from telling the court if his vote favoured or condemned the disgraced Hollywood producer, Mr Farber concluded the information provided was sufficient to declare the third-degree rape charge a mistrial.
“Deliberations became heated to such a degree I am obligated to declare a mistrial on the one count on which you didn’t reach a verdict,” Mr Farber declared on Thursday.
The sexual felony charges against Mr Weinstein have, so far, ended in a conviction, acquittal and most recently a mistrial.
For years, Mr Weinstein has battled sexual assault allegations from over a hundred women who said the Hollywood mogul exploited them sexually with promises of stardom, sparking the #MeToo movement.
But his lawyers argued that all of Mr Weinstein’s sexual encounters were consensual and that complaints were only from people bitter about their failed entertainment careers.
Mr Weinstein was initially convicted but the New York State Supreme Court overturned the conviction in 2024 after discovering misrepresentations in the testimonies of witnesses.
Judge Farber on Thursday said the rape charge filed by former aspiring actress Jessica Mann, will proceed to trial.
Ms Mann accused Mr Weinstein of raping her in a hotel room in New York back in 2013 and admitted she had had consensual sex with him after the alleged rape.
Mr Weinstein, 73, said his fate could not be decided in this manner, reacting to the feuding jurors who were taxed with indicting or acquitting him of the charge.
“I can’t be judged by a situation that’s going on like this,” Aljazeera cited Mr Weinstein, currently serving a 16-year jailterm for another sex crime in California, as saying.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

World
Ukraine’s ousted defence minister Fedorov demands fresh elections amid ongoing war with Russia
The eastern European country election was suspended primarily because of Russia’s full-scale invasion since February 2022.

Heading 5
U.S.-based Nigerian rapper MsJorji stirs fresh accusation as social media trends Poco Lee’s arrest in UK over alleged rape
MsJorji accused Poco Lee of assaulting her and a female friend at his residence in Dallas.

States
Soldiers rescue 14 kidnap victims, nab 16 suspects in Katsina operation
The military said the achievements were recorded during operations conducted between August 17 and 18.

States
Abuja man arraigned for allegedly stealing laptop worth N1.5 million
The defendant pleaded not guilty to the charge.

NationWide
NITAD seeks investment in local talents to drive national growth
Mr Mutfwang said the state government was committed to partnering with training institutions.

Economy
TMCI senior director charged with insider trading in U.S.
“When corporate insiders misuse confidential information for personal gain, they undermine the integrity of our financial system,” said U.S. attorney Jamie McDonald.






