Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Judge reverses Pentagon restrictions on press coverage 

The Pentagon disagreed with the ruling and announced plans to appeal the decision.

• March 21, 2026
New York Times
New York Times

U.S. District Judge Paul Friedman has ruled as unconstitutional the new press policy limiting the access of journalists to the Pentagon, opining that the rules violate the First Amendment protection enjoyed by reporters.

“A primary purpose of the First Amendment is to enable the press to publish what it will and the public to read what it chooses, free of any official proscription,” Mr Friedman said in his ruling on Friday. 

The Department of Defence under Pete Hegseth in 2025 slammed restrictions on journalists and directed them to sign an agreement that newspapers will not publish unauthorised information.

Per the press policy, the Department also reserved the right to revoke the access of journalists who solicited information about military operations from officers and published reports that had not been previously cleared.

The agreement angered newspapers such as The New York Times who deemed the new policy as censorship. Reporters from The Times, Fox News and others declined to sign the document and consequently, surrendered their press passes.

The Times and reporter Julian E Barnes sued Mr Hegseth, the Department and its spokesperson Sean Parnell at the district court in Columbia where the judge sided with the plaintiffs on Friday.

“Those who drafted the First Amendment believed that the nation’s security requires a free press and an informed people and that such security is endangered by governmental suppression of political speech. It must not be abandoned now,” he said.

“It is more important than ever that the public have access to information from a variety of perspectives about what its government is doing,” Friedman said.

The Pentagon disagreed with the ruling and announced plans to appeal the decision.

“We disagree with the decision and are pursuing an immediate appeal,” DOD spokesperson Sean Parnell said in a statement on Friday. 

A spokesperson for The Times hailed the ruling, saying it “reaffirms the right of the Times and other independent media to continue to ask questions on the public’s behalf.”

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Health workers

Africa

WHO hopeful on Congo Ebola outbreak containment 

The WHO has raised about 60 per cent of the $115 million needed to fund the Ebola response.

Africa

Re-elected Zambia’s President Hichilema promises development, peace 

The Zambian president said he would work harder than ever before to deliver meaningful development to the citizens.

ADC and Accord logos

Heading 3

Osun Poll: Gov. Adeleke discredits ADC’s collaboration claim with Accord to defeat APC

Mr Abdullahi said anyone familiar with what happened in Osun State knew the role his party played to secure the victory for the Accord.

Central Bank of Nigeria Logo

NationWide

Digital payments vital to financial inclusion, economic growth: CBN

Ms Nwabukwu urged entrepreneurs and traders to embrace digital payment solutions.

Students at Lagos State University gate

Africa

Webometrics ranking places UNILAG second in Nigeria, 23rd in Africa

The institution congratulated itself as the university of first choice and the nation’s pride for the outstanding achievement.

Peter Obi

NationWide

Let your conduct reflect office you’re seeking, Obi urges fellow presidential candidates

Mr Obi expressed regret over past electoral violence and casualties recorded in previous elections