Wednesday, August 19, 2026

17 soldiers killed, 20 wounded as bandits overrun Nigerian Army outpost in Kaduna

The incident lasted up to three hours and 15 minutes before the army personnel were dislodged from their location.

• April 5, 2022
Bandits vs. Nigerian Army
Bandits and Nigerian Army

On Monday, no less than 17 soldiers were killed after bandits overran the forward operating base near Mando in Kaduna State.

The incident occurred at about 4:45 p.m. on Monday and lasted up to three hours and 15 minutes before the personnel were dislodged from the location, a military signal seen by Peoples Gazette said.

Although the signal stated that 11 soldiers were killed, a top military source confirmed to The Gazette that 17 died in the attack.

Military officers suspected the attackers used special weapons similar to the one used to bomb the Kaduna train to carry out the latest attack on the troops deployed to combat the growing menace of armed banditry across the northwestern swathes of the country.

An abductee in the recent train attack on Kaduna was quoted as saying that bandits had dangerous weapons.

Meanwhile, the army said that 19 soldiers sustained injuries, while three Vigilante members were killed in the attack.

Also, one Legion MRAP, one Cobra Armored Personnel Carrier, Steyr APC, and one DShK machine gun were burnt, while 12 Heckler & Koch 21, 14 AK47 rifles and three pump action guns were missing.

Personnel injured in the attack were taken to Jibril Maigwari Hospital and 271 NAF Detachment Medical Centre in Birnin-Gwari, Kaduna, for treatment.

The soldiers killed in action were evacuated to 44 Nigerian Army Reference Hospital morgue in Kaduna.

The army had described the incident as the most significant loss witnessed in a long time and wondered if the troops had been taken by surprise.

However, when contacted, the spokesperson for the Nigerian Army, Onyema Nwachukwu, did not respond to The Gazette’s request seeking comment on the matter.

Bandits have in recent times attacked military bases in the country, marking a significant challenge in the fights against insecurity.

In September last year, armed bandits overran a forward operating base in Mutumji, Dansadau, area of Zamfara State, killed 12 officers and seized weapons.

The same month, bandits invaded a joint military camp code-named ‘Burkusuma camp’ in Sabon Birni local government area of Sokoto, killing many soldiers of the Nigerian Army.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

President of the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan (Credit: Financial Times)

Economy

UAE suspends trade, financial transactions with Iran

The UAE has halted all trade, commercial exchange and financial transactions with Iran after the latter attacked several UAE-owned tankers and rejected new talks with the U.S.

David Umahi

States

Umahi warns contractors against abandoning project sites

Works minister David Umahi has directed contractors handling federal government road projects to remain fully active on their sites, warning against abandoning projects.

Agege Food Hub

States

Egg sellers hail Lagos govt for Agege food hub, seeks inclusion

The Eggs Sellers and Distributors Association of Nigeria has commended the Lagos government for establishing the Agege Fresh Food Hub.

WRAPPERS

States

Two Kaduna women nabbed for stealing deceased friend’s wrappers during mourning

Keziah Nathan, 26, and Janet Caleb, 29, were on Wednesday arraigned before the Kaduna Magistrate’s Court for stealing their late friend’s wrappers.

Car Battery

States

Two Ogun men arraigned for stealing battery

Two men, Sunday Famakinde, 38, and Kehinde Olamide, 35, were arraigned before the Ota Magistrate’s Court in Ogun on Wednesday for stealing a battery worth N100,000.

Peace Accord event

Politics

Peace Accord: Tinubu not interested in peaceful 2027 elections, declares SDP candidate

“President Tinubu (@officialABAT) not showing up to the National Peace Accord signing yesterday shows that he is not committed to peace,” the politician stated.