Court adjourns Nnamdi Kanu’s case till October as SSS fails to produce IPOB leader in court

The State Security Service on Monday failed to produce the leader of IPOB Nnamdi Kanu in court for continuation of trial.
M.B. Abubakar, the lawyer representing the Buhari regime in the matter, cited logistics reasons for the disobedience of court order, which had previously said Mr Kanu should be returned to court on July 26 to hear bail application.
Mr Abubakar said the government was ready to allow trial to continue in the absence of Mr Kanu.
Justice Binta Murtala-Nyako said the government’s action was disturbing, saying Mr Kanu should have been presented in court since he was remanded in SSS custody last month.
“I am also worried why the defendant is not here.,” Ms Murtala-Nyako said. “The first step in a criminals matter is to provide the defendant in court.”
But the separatist leader’s lawyer Ifeanyi Ejiofor told the court that Mr Kanu’s health conditions had deteriorated in custody and should be released before the next adjournment.
Mr Ejiofor also said he believed Mr Kanu had been taken away from Abuja where the judge said he should be remanded last month.
“I was informed authoritatively, I am speaking from the bar, that Nnamdi Kanu has been taken out of jurisdiction of this court,” the lawyer said.
Mr Ejiofor said Mr Kanu should not be allowed to suffer perpetually in SSS custody because of the long vacation that judges will be embarking upon from this month until mid-October.
Mr Kanu was abducted by Nigerian agents in Kenya and repatriated to Nigeria on June 29, according to Attorney-General Abubakar Malami.
The development has received widespread controversy, with rights activists said the Buhari regime had violated international rights law by abducting the frontline separatist agitator, who was carrying a British passport at the time of his arrest in Nairobi.
The regime, however, pushed back against the criticism, saying Mr Kanu was only “intercepted” in order to bring him to justice, four years after fleeing Nigeria while on court bail.
His lawyers also rejected the government’s argument, saying Mr Kanu fled because his home was invaded and dozens of his relatives shot dead by Nigerian soldiers in September 2017,
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Showbiz
Kamsy emerges third housemate evicted from BBNaija Season 11
Her departure came as a fresh reminder that popularity inside the house does not necessarily translate into enough public votes.

Sport
Cameroon beat Malawi 3-0 to win first WAFCON title
Cameroon thus became the fourth nation to win the WAFCON, joining record champions Nigeria, Equatorial Guinea and South Africa.

NationWide
Alake warns illegal operators against mining abandoned pits
The minister said the tragedy could have been averted if the illegal miners formed a cooperative and applied for the necessary permit.

States
Police arrest Kogi man for setting wife on fire
The state Commissioner of Police, Naziru Kankarofi, condemned the attack, describing it as “barbaric and unacceptable.”

Showbiz
Spider-Man: Brand New Day’ rakes $2 billion at global box office
Marvel and Sony’s “Spider-Man: Brand New Day” has grossed $2 billion at the global box office after only three weeks in theatres







