Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Court orders NIMC, others to release David Ukpo’s biodata to Ekweremadu

The request follows the arrest of the couple on June 23 in the UK over allegations that they conspired to illegally harvest the organ of the reportedly underaged David.

• July 1, 2022
The Ekwerenmadus and David Ukpo
The Ekwerenmadus and David Ukpo

The Abuja Division of the Federal High Court has ordered the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) and others to release the certified true copy (CTC) of David Ukpo’s biodata to former Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu, and his wife, Beatrice.

Justice Inyang Ekwo gave the ruling on Friday following an originating summon marked: FHC/ABJ/CS/984/2022, moved by Mr Ekweremadu’s counsel, Adegboyega Awomolo, SAN.

On June 27, Mr Ekweremadu and wife had, in the application dated and filed on June 27 by Mr Awomolo, sued NIMC and four others.

Others mentioned in the suit are the Comptroller General (C-G), Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS); Stanbic-IBTC Bank; United Bank of Africa (UBA) and Nigeria Inter-Bank Settlement System Plc as 2nd to 5th respondents respectively.

The request follows the arrest of the couple on June 23 in the UK over allegations that they conspired to illegally harvest the organ of the reportedly underaged David. The UK police subsequently arraigned before the  Uxbridge Magistrate Court last Thursday and have since been remanded after being denied bail.

They, however, denied the allegations and the court adjourned till July 7 for hearing.

But in the originating summon, the duo prayed the court for an order directing all the defendants to supply them with the CTC of Ukpo’s biodata information in their care for the purpose of facilitating the criminal investigation and tendering same to establish their innocence with respect to David’s age in the criminal charges against them before the Uxbridge Magistrate Court.

When the matter was called, Mr Awomolo informed the court that an application had been filed, seeking the order striking out the name of the 5th defendant (Nigeria Inter-Bank Settlement System Plc) and Justice Ekwo granted the prayer.

The senior lawyer told the court that all the defendants had been served with the court processes.

Justice Ekwo then asked lawyer to the 4th defendant (United Bank of Africa), G. O. Maduka, if they were served and he responded in affirmative.

According to him, after going through their motion on notice, we felt we have no reaction to it.

Moving his motion, Mr Awomolo said the application dated and filed on June 27 was supported by an affidavit and a written address.

“I respectfully adopted all the processes my lord,” he said.

Mr Awomolo, however, called the attention of the court to letters written by the defendants, indicating that until his client’s application is granted by the court, “they will not be able to respond to their request.”

In a short ruling, the judge held that having been satisfied that the defendants had been served and looking at the averments in the application, “I make an order granting the prayers.”

(NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Wande Coal and Davido

Showbiz

Wande Coal, Davido clash over unreleased collaboration ‘Come My Way’

Wande Coal and Davido have clashed on social media over an unreleased collaboration, ‘Come My Way’.

Nigerians evacuated from South Africa

Africa

Xenophobic Attacks: 83 Nigerians evacuated from South Africa arrive in Lagos on Wednesday

The foreign affairs ministry says a new batch of 83 Nigerian returnees from South Africa will arrive in the country on Wednesday.

Timfon John

States

Police nab suspected hoodlum, recover firearm in Akwa Ibom

The police command in Akwa Ibom says it has apprehended a suspected hoodlum and recovered a locally made single-barrel gun in the process.

Meta, Instagram, and Facebook

Rights

Meta goes on trial accused of making Facebook, Instagram addictive for youths

A coalition of U.S. states has accused Meta Platforms Incorporated of designing its social media and communication platform interface in an addictive and harmful way.

Tinubu at UNGA

World

Tinubu to address world leaders at UNGA September 23

President Bola Tinubu will join world leaders to address the 81st Session of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA 81) General Debate on September 23, in New York.

Governor Mai Mala Buni

Politics

Buni lauds Tinubu’s commitment to peace, security in Lake Chad region

Governor Mai Mala Buni has commended President Bola Tinubu for his commitment to sustainable peace, security and economic growth of the Lake Chad region.