Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Dozens killed, many wounded as Nigerian Air Force mistakenly bombs Yobe community

The Nigerian Air Force swiftly issued a statement claiming the bombing did not occur. But the state governor contradicted the military in a condolence message.

• September 15, 2021
Nigerian Air Force fighter jets used to illustrate the story.
Nigerian Air Force fighter jet used to illustrate the story.

The Nigerian Air Force has mistakenly bombed another community in Nigeria’s war-torn North-East, Peoples Gazette has learnt from military sources.

Dozens of civilians were said to have been killed and others wounded after a military operation said to have occurred by error. It was unclear when the incident came, but dead bodies and wounded victims started arriving at the hospitals in Geidam and the capital Damaturu on Wednesday afternoon, an official said.

The actual civilian casualties were still being examined as of early Thursday morning, but there were already fears that the numbers were in dozens.

The Nigerian Air Force swiftly issued a statement claiming the bombing did not occur. But the state governor contradicted the military in a condolence message.

The military also cordoned off the scene of the attack in Buwari, Yunusari Local Government Area, and the two hospitals holding bodies and treating victims to prevent pictures from coming out.

The bombing came four years after the community of Rann, Borno, was similarly bomb in an operation the military said was a mistake and vowed a repeat will not occur.

Read Governor Mai Mala Buni’s full statement on the attack below:

Gov. Buni Mourns Victims of Air Strike, Assures Anvestigation of lncident

Yobe State Governor Mai Mala Buni has commiserated with families of those who lost their lives in the unfortunate airstrike on Buhari village in Yunusari Local Government Area of the state.

He said although it could have been an accident or mistaken target, but the government will join hands with the security agencies to unravel the root cause of the incident.

Governor Buni directed his special adviser on security affairs to liaise with the Nigerian Air Force and the Multi-National Joint Task Force to look into the unfortunate airstrike.

“Government will work closely with the security forces especially the Nigeria Airforce to establish what actually happened,” Governor Buni assured. “This is very important and necessary for us to guard against future occurance and to safeguard the lives of our people.”

Governor Buni also assured the preparedness of his administration to work with all security forces to ensure the safety of the state.

Meanwhile, the governor has directed government hospitals in Geidam and Damaturu to offer free medical services to those who sustained injuries from the airstrike.

Similarly, the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) has been directed to provide relief materials to cater for the immediate needs of the families of the deceased persons and other members of the community.

Signed
Mamman Mohammed,
DG, Press and Media Affair
s.

More from Peoples Gazette

Nigerian police officers used to illustrate the story

States

Woman slaps policeman, lands in court

The cook slapped one of the policemen who arrested her for being in a ‘black spot’ late at night. She was given a bail of N500, 000 with two sureties each in like sum.

Rights

#EndSARS: GoKada rider arrested for holding Nigerian flag

GoKada rider Saintus Ugwu said he was apprehended by the police while through the Lekki Toll Gate with the Nigerian flag attached to his motorcycle.

States

Victims join #EndSARSMemorial in Benin

Two of the men shot during the protest in Benin last year were also present at the anniversary rally.

Port Harcourt

Breast Cancer: Group seeks support, asks husbands to regularly inspect wives’ breasts

According to research in Rivers, breast cancer constitutes the commonest type of cancer.

Bloody Nigerian flag and Buhari used to illustrate Lekki Massacre story

Opinion

If Nigeria disintegrates, Buhari’s October 20, 2020 albatross caused it

President Buhari is on record saying that the #EndSARS protests were about removing him from office.

Ibadan

#EndSARSMemorial: Police stand by as protesters march through Ibadan

Although heavily armed police operatives were seen around the protest routes, there has been no report of violent dispersal of protesters unlike the case in Lekki, Lagos.