EFCC operatives invade Supreme Court Justice Mary Odili’s residence

Armed operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission have visited the residence of Supreme Court Justice Mary Odili, Peoples Gazette learnt.
The operatives arrived at Mrs Odili’s Abuja residence on Friday evening with immediate efforts to break in, sources told The Gazette. The judge immediately and vehemently resisted the attempts to raid her residence by the operatives, saying she had no business with them.
“She told them to go and meet her husband because she does not have any matter pending before them,” our source said under anonymity because they did not get permission to comment on an ongoing operation. Armed police officers were also amongst over 50 operatives said to be part of the operation on Imo River Street, off Danube Street, Maitama.
Peter Odili, the Supreme Court jurist’s husband and former Rivers governor, has been facing corruption charges raised by the EFCC. Earlier this week, a federal judge ordered the immediate return of his international passport, saying anti-graft prosecutors have failed to substantiate grounds for continuous seizure of the politician’s passport.
Officials could not immediately say whether or not the ongoing standoff at Mrs Odili’s residence was because of her husband’s case.
The development comes five years after operatives of the State Security Service broke into the residences of over a dozen federal judges, including three of the Supreme Court at the time. Some of the judges have since died, with their family members saying their health deteriorated following the raids.
The officers later left Mrs Odili’s residence after the chief magistrate that issued the search warrant they presented revoked it, accusing Attorney-General Abubakar Malami’s justice ministry of supplying false information to the court.
The EFCC also denied playing a role in the operation, even though the whistleblower that triggered the search process stated in court filings that he provided his findings to the EFCC and one of the operatives told The Gazette EFCC led the operation.
“If there was any such operation” that Mrs Odili’s house was besieged by anti-graft operatives, “it was not carried out by the EFCC,” the agency’s spokesman Wilson Uwujaren said in a statement to The Gazette late Friday. The Gazette had earlier reached Mr Uwujaren for comment prior to breaking the news but received no immediate response.Â
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Sport
FCT FA Division One Super 8: My Hope FC beat Hypebuzz FA
My Hope Football Club came from a goal down to defeat Hypebuzz Football Academy 3-1 in their Group A fixture of the 2026 FCT FA Division One League Super 8 on Monday in Abuja.

Politics
Eti-Osa council boss pledges improved staff welfare
Eti-Osa LG has reaffirmed its commitment to staff welfare and a conducive working environment to motivate employees to contribute meaningfully to the council’s development.

Politics
Nasarawa electoral commissioner dumps APC for SDP
Samuel Tsebe, a member of the Nasarawa State Independent Electoral Commission, has resigned his membership of the All Progressives Congress with immediate effect.

Education
Nacabs poly boss vows to expel students caught in exam malpractice
The proprietor of Nacabs Polytechnic, Akwanga, Nasarawa, David Abuluya, has vowed to expel any students caught in examination malpractice.

World
Trump govt moves to reinstate human trafficking case against Abrego Garcia
Mr Trump’s administration wants the court to reinstate the human trafficking indictment against Abrego Garcia, a Salvadoran immigrant at the centre of a wrongful deportation case.

Agriculture
FG restates commitment to food security, job creation
The federal government has reaffirmed its commitment to tackling food shortages and high unemployment through agriculture and livestock development.






