Wednesday, August 19, 2026

FBI collects first tranche of $6 million from Mr Woodberry’s Bitcoin wallet

The forfeiture filing was dated April 29, 2022, when Bitcoin was trading at $39,457, bringing the value of the haul to $6 million.

• May 27, 2022
Olalekan Woodberry/FBI
Olalekan Woodberry/FBI

The United States government, through the Federal Bureau of Investigation, has seized 151.8 Bitcoin from the wallet of Olalekan Jacob Ponle, also known as ‘Mr Woodberry’.

According to court documents from the United States District Court for the Northern District Of Illinois, U.S. prosecutors sought forfeiture of any property derived from the proceeds of Mr Ponle’s criminal enterprise.

“Through the violation of 18 U.S.C. § 1343 as alleged in Counts One through Eight of the indictment, the United States seeks forfeiture of any property involved in or traceable to the defendant’s violation including, but not limited to 151.885720427 Bitcoin Cryptocurrency pursuant to the provisions of 18 U.S.C. § 981(a)(1)(C) and 28 U.S.C. § 2461(c),” the court documents said. 

The forfeiture filing was dated April 29, 2022, when Bitcoin was trading at $39,457, bringing the value of the haul to $6 million.

In 2020, the FBI filed a complaint against Mr Ponle regarding his criminal activities and how he used Bitcoin to conceal stolen funds from his alleged criminal activities online. The bureau noted that Mr Ponle had been using the same address (16AtGJbaxL2kmzx4mW5ocpT2ysTWxmacWn) since 2014.

The intelligence agency further revealed how Mr Ponle and his accomplices engaged in a scheme known as business email compromise (BEC) and subsequently defrauded American companies of tens of millions of dollars while converting $6.5 million into 1,500 BTC. 

“Preliminary blockchain analysis indicates that PONLE received at least 1,494.71506296 bitcoin related to these BEC schemes, valued at approximately $6,599,499.98 at the time he received the proceeds,” the document added. 

Mr Ponle, also known as ‘Mr Woodbery’, and ‘Mark Kain’, was arraigned on a separate charge in Chicago last July. 

He was arrested in Dubai alongside Hushpuppi and charged in a U.S. District Court in Chicago with conspiracy to commit wire fraud. 

The jury’s eight-count charge of wire fraud still holds, meaning Mr Ponle stands to forfeit, to the U.S. government, any property derived from the proceeds of his crimes.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Media Foundation for West Africa (MFWA)

Africa

Media professionals decry threats to press freedom in West Africa 

The media experts noted that press freedom and national security should be complementary objectives and not competitors.

Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC)

States

NDDC begins negotiations to improve staff welfare

Mr Iyaye congratulated members of the committee on their selection by NDDC management and the NDDC Staff Union.

HOSPITAL

States

Stakeholders seek quick reform of state public health laws

Mr Danjuma described the initiative as a major milestone in strengthening public health legal preparedness.

Court

States

Two Ogun men jailed seven years each for belonging to secret cults

The magistrate said the evidence presented by the prosecution was tenable.

World

Nine die in India hotel fire

Authorities said a child and five Bangladeshi nationals from the same family were killed in the fire.